Search

Greenwich questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM
bag
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenwich questions

My friends and I are thinking of traveling to Greenwich while we are in NY. Can you please tell me if one day is plenty of time to spend in Greenwich, and what do you recommend doing while we are there?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:30 AM
GoTravel

Are you talking about The Village or Greewich, Conn?

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:52 AM
bag
Original Poster

I'm refering to Greenwich, Conn.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Unless you have a car, I'm not sure that there is any reason to travel there. (I live there but work daily in NYC.) if you were to take the train, the main attraction would be Greenwich Ave, a short walk, where you would see all the stores that are in NYC: Gap, Banana Republic, Tiffany's, Saks, etc, a handful of small boutiques and some nice restaurants. I think the real attraction of Greenwich is some of its homes and neighborhoods but to see those you would definitely need a car.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Why Greenwich? Yes, it's a very nice, wealthy community, and taking nothing away from that city, but there are a lot more interesting places to see in the tri-state area!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Yeah, not much to do in Greenwich. Outsiders aren't very welcome there. They're always battling to keep people out of their precious beaches and they tried to ban lottery sales in Greenwich because they don't like NYers coming there to buy Powerball tickets. Just a few shops and some rich snooty people.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:55 AM

I'm with the "don't bother" contingent. It's a pretty, ritzy bedroom community, but there's absolutely nothing there of interest to tourists. Stay in NYC!!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM

bag, just wondering...what attracted you to Greenwich? What were you expecting to find there?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Oh c'mon, strolling down Greenwich Ave. is great fun! You can play count the Mercedes Benz's, How much plastic surgery has she had, does he really think she married him because she loves him or is he just a big wallet with legs and countless other fun games.

I say go to Greenwich. You might still be able to catch a glimpse of the old schoolers who can actually talk without moving their jaws!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:22 PM

And have lunch at Meli Melo on Greenwich Ave. Crepes, great soups and salads, etc.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Are you staying in NYC for a long time and have you been to NYC many times before? Are you under 30? I think these questions would all impact whether or not a trip on the commuter train up to Greenwich would be recommended or not.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Sera, I love Pasta Vera at the top of the avenue. The best homemade pasta at very reasonable prices. One of my very favorite spots to eat.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:33 PM

"Wife or Mistress?" is also a fun one to play.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Ooohhh, good one Loki, forgot that one. Also new money or old, but that's kind of too easy to be challenging.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:52 AM

Another vote for Meli Melo and Pasta Vera but if you wanted to go to a polo match you would definitely need a car since they are waaaay back in the back country and only on Sundays I believe. "Mistress or Wife" is a good game, also how many kids does he have with his first wife?
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 04:38 AM

As someone who was born and brought up in Greenwich and yes still is a Real Estate owner there I find most of the snide remarks repugnant. Greenwich is a ine place to live , not a great vacation spot but a lovely place to live.
If you are 30 the night life on Greenwich Avenue is fine, especially at Bleu.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:49 AM

With all due respect, mrsbu, Greenwich is a lovely community, but to travel to the New York City area and go to Greenwich for the nightlife! Or the daylife for that matter! C'mon now!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:13 AM

Saying Greenwich is a nice place to live is like saying Beverly Hills is a nice place to live. It's nice, because if you live there, you are a multi-multi millionaire. If you visit Greenwich, a nice beachside New England town, the only reason you can even see the beach, is because last year some common Joe had the guts to sue the residents of Greenwich for keeping him off. Maybe I'm just jaded because I found Silver Spoons to be fiction and not autobiography.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:34 PM

It's time to tell the truth about Greenwich. For some reason people think that Greenwich is all Bmw's and Land Rovers, with Muffy and Biff running up and down the Avenue in their tennis whites. Greenwich for the most part is a normal community where people go to work in the morning and raise their families.
Greenwich has 3 count them 3 low income housing projects, homeless, a low income medical clinic, and crime. Yes we tried to stop the influx of powerball people. Why because they were sleeping in tents in the parks, 1 attempted to rob the owner of a stationary store at gunpoint and 1 man even punched the States Attorney General in the face when he tried to purchase a newspaper. The man assumed he was trying to cut in line in front of him . Imagine the gaul soemone trying to buy a newspaper during powerball time. Local residents couldn;t even get to their homes due to excess traffic.
Yes we have some very wealthy people in Greenwich, but they are not the norm. Why not talk about Rye, N.Y. or Shippan Point in Stamford ? There is great money in this area due to acess to NYC, but there are also auto mechanics, town workers and a varied ethnic community. The schools have a ESL program and have bi-lingual classes as well.
But please get over it and stop believing the hype, Greenwich is perhaps not the normal town, but it's no Beverly Hills.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 02:45 AM

My nieces attend Greenwich High School and there are children there who are definitely not super rich or even rich. There are all levels of income there. The school has most of the same problems other large high schools have.

If you would like to see the really huge elaborate homes, you are out of luck as they are mainly in back Greenwich behind gates and long drives.

I think the retail scene is a big yawn like almost everywhere else in America. Everywhere has the same stores.

I can't go to Greenwich without having coffee and pastry at Versailles. I dream of Pont Neuf!!! After all, I am, LilMsFoodie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -