greenich village ny/the atrium

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:09 AM
judy

greenich village ny/the atrium

MJy daughter and I are coming to ny she is 23 for 10 days in april. Would like some feedback in staying in the greenich village area and about the atrium. If we book a studio is there any perticular request we should ask about for location of the room. Thanking everyone in advance for their advice
Judy

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Marj

The lower floors could be noisy. There's always lots go on, on Bleecker St. in the evenings. The location is good for village and soho. A friend of mine sublet there recently for a few months, it was fine.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:56 PM
judy

marj thank you for the info. Have you been in the Atrium no one else seems to have replied so not quite sure if it is good place or not. hate to pay for 10 nites and it not be good.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Anthony

Judy:
I don't think you'll get much feedback on this; as a Native NY'er, I know this building as an apt. building, so I'm assuming either it's been converted into apt's, or you got a sublet. May I ask how much you are paying? NYC hotel rates have come down, and their have been many new hotels built. Many of them are in the lower-price range, so you have many choices.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Anthony

oops! I meant to type ' as a Native NY'er, I know this building as an apt. building, so I'm assuming either it's been converted into a HOTEL, or you got a sublet.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 08:06 PM
judy

Anthony,we got a studio apt that has a kitchen. It was for 165.00 per nite and we got it for 95.00 and no hotel taxes. The kitchen is good because we are in your city and we know how expensive it can be to go out for meals all the time so we felt that a kitchen was a must. It is not one that we are subletting it is a company that has so many apt in these units that they own and rent out The name of the company is A Hospitality Company and is where you book from. Do you feel that this is a deal?
Judy

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Anthony

Judy:
Your daily price seems reasonable, especially if it has a kitchen. My only concern would be the condition and appointments of the apt. I would suspect that it will be the bare minimum of furnishings. I think you will need to keep in mind that since this is not a hotel, there will be no services. come to think of it, did they tell you if there is daily or everyother day maid and/or sheets & towel service?
If not, that is one big strike in my book. Again, not knowing you & your daughters travel style, regardless of how expensive a city may be, I personally don't want to travel in the 'backpacking college-student' style.
I know you expressed concerns about the cost of food here in Manhattan, and yes, it CAN be expensive, unless you know where to go.
Many restaurants of prix-fix dinner specials. In many of the dinners in Manhattan, there are eggs and toast breakfast specials for around $3-$4.

If you do stay at the Atrium, I would agree that you should request an apt. away from the ground floor.
Have you considered other ways to book a hotel? My BEST advice would be to use
www.priceline.com to bid for a hotel rm.
There is a GREAT online bulletinboard,
www.biddingfortravel.com, that explains and assists people in using priceline.com to get the best deals. This board will list what hotels and/or airfare other people have gotten and at what price their bid was accepted.
If you check the NYC hotel section, you will see people getting 3* hotels for about $85/nt, which are excellent prices for Manhattan hotels, even without kitchen facilities

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:49 AM
judy

Anthony
Thank you for your reply and I will search out those websites.
Judy

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:47 AM
judy

Anthony
I checked out the priceline and bidding websites. I do no think that I like the idea of giving a credit card and not even knowing what hotel I am staying in. and then having to go through the hassle of cancelling and paying a penalty not to good for me. the backpacing idea is not bad for us. We want to do the touritsy thing during the day and then come back to our place and have a nice dinner and some jazz/blue idea music and a nightcap. For the broadway show, one night maybe two. Do you think we are still staying in the right area Greenwich or do you think we need to be closer to the central park area. Anyones advice would be appreciated
Judy

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Michelle

Anthony has a good point, Judy. Have you inquired regarding the condition of the apartment? Have you seen pictures?What is included and what is not? It's very important to know whether the apartment has been maintained or not as, if it has not, it could put you in the very precarious position of coming up with last minute lodging which could wind up being quite pricey.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 02:01 PM
John Kearns

Judy, you have to decide what you is important to you. Greenwich Village is a historic district filled with beautiful buildings, mom and pop stores, neighborhood restaurants and bars. It is walking distance to Chelsea, Soho, Little Italy, Tribeca and the Financial District. It is 10 minutes by subway to the theater district, midtown, Fifth Avenue Shopping, Macy's and Central Park. If you prefer to be in the tourist zone within walking distance to Central Park, the theater district and most major museums then you are better off staying in the midtown/theater district area. Either choice is fine and don't foget that you can get around in New York very easily.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:00 PM
arjay

Hold ON! and RELAX.

We have used Hospitality.com.. okay...only once...but that expperience was unbelieveably positive...i cannot speak to the 'convenience" of your location, v-v getting around the city...but i do have a very positive reactionn re hospitality.com...and if you want to e-m me directly feel [email protected]