Search

Great Smoky Mountains--snakes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:06 AM
maj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Smoky Mountains--snakes

I just heard that snakes are a big problem in the Kentucky-Tennessee--North Carolina area right now. We are thinking about going there for a couple of days and since we like to hike, wondered if anyone has been there recently.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:15 PM

I have been on the trails in the Great Smokey Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest and can't say I have even seen a snake however my boys saw a snake on a bike trail around the river and campground but that is not unusual. We have seen more bears than usual but that is indeed an enjoyable experience.
I remain interested to see other responses. From high in the mountains of East Tennessee...
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't call them a problem but they are there. Most of the time you will not see them because they know you are coming first and get out of your way. There are also bear in the mountains. Again they usually notice you before you know about them. Make some noise while hiking. If you are on a well used trail, there will be lots of people using it and you will probably not see any animals or snakes.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM

My experience has been similar to Kapmap's. On the trail to Alum Cave Bluff, about the most I have seen are birds and bees. No snakes, skunks, or bears.

On top of Mount LeConte, the lodge and the hikers' shelter attract bears. (Food odors are the attraction, which bears can smell for a long distance.) One friend of mine organized a hiking group to stay at the lodge. He miscounted and ended up with more people than beds. So he agreed to go to the hikers' shelter. He went into a cabin to change to warmer clothes before going to the shelter. He had food in his pack which he put on the bed. A bear climbed in the window to get it. Like an idiot, my friend snapped at the bear's nose with a towel. That just made the bear angry. My friend at that point had the speed to get out and the sense to shut the door. The bear was in the room eating and did not want to leave. I think the lodge manager got a blank pistol and fired it at the bear, who got scared and ran.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:05 AM
maj
Original Poster

When we were in Sequoia last month the ranger said that the bear activity was unusually high because the warm spring brought them out before the berries they usually eat were ready--which brought the bears to the lower elevations searching for food. I wonder if that is the same reason there are more bears visible in the Smokies now. Also, I heard that the snakes are more numerous now because of the warm weather and rain (creating tropical conditions). I know people who have gone camping in the southern Kentucky area and have complained about the unusual number of snakes they've seen--evidently not a problem in the mountains. We don't camp and have what I call a "healthy" fear of snakes (and bears)--don't panic at the sight of one (especially if it is running away from us), but understand their possible dangers.

Thanks for your replies. I guess we will do what we always do. Hopefully we will see a bear--have been to the area numerous times and have never seen one there.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Best chance for bear on the main track is at the evening and wildlife in general is best at daybreak and dusk at least here in the mountains of East Tennessee and western North Carolina. Have fun and travel safe!