Advice on Maui/Big Island Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a two week honeymoon (May '05) to Maui and the Big Island. We are splitting our time on the islands equally (6nts each), and in order to both save money and fully experience each island, I was thinking we would spend four nights at a resort and 2 nights at a B&B (in a different area than the resort) on each island. We also hope to use frequent flyer miles for our flights from DC and the interisland flights. My specific questions are:
1) Is it wise to change hotels on each island? We want to stay at the 4S on Maui, but don't want to shell out for a 6-nt stay there, so I thought we could stay at a B&B in Lahaina/Kaanapali(specifically the Ho'Olio House) and save some money. On the Big Island, I thought we could spend 2 nts in Hilo (Waterfalls Inn) and see the sights on that side of the island. On the Kona side of the Island, I think we will stay at the Hapuna Prince. Does this sound like a good idea?
2) What is the best way to book a trip like this? It seems like travel agents have great package deals, but I don't know what they can do with such specific requests. Is it even worth it to check with travel agents, since I plan to use FF miles and stay for some nights in B&B's? Does the 4S ever discount their rooms? What about car rentals?
This board has been very helpful so far, so any advice you can give would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Congratulations! If that is not too much moving around then it is fine with me. We prefer to stop at one place but that is us. I got a really good deal at Costco travel (www.costco.com) for our upcoming Hawaiian vacation and I do know they have the Hapuna on their hotel menu. You can also rent a car from them so you may want to look into that. If you go to their web there is a toll free number you can use. I would also look into various discount webs for hotel and car deals. Good luck, Larry
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:39 AM

If you plan to use FF miles for your mainland-Hawaii flights, I would suggest checking with your airline now to find out when they will begin booking for the dates you want and be sure to call right at that time. Award travel to Hawaii often is in high demand, and there are usually a limited number of seats available for FF awards -- at least, if you are hoping to get the "saver"-type awards (fewer miles required). I don't know that this is as much an issue with the interisland flights.

As far as changing hotels, we stayed in two locations on the Big Island. It eliminated a lot of driving. If you are doing that, consider flying into Hilo and out of Kona (or vice versa).
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:37 PM
bonniebroad

mar_76, the only thing I might change in your itinerary is to stay in a B&B/Lodge at Volcano Village rather than Hilo. Hilo does not appeal to me that much, and I loved everything about staying "practically right on the volcano." We love the Kilauea Lodge, but there are lots of other B&B's in VV.

Personally, I've always gotten better rates doing the booking myself, using AAA discounts, the Entertainment Book, traveling low season, that kind of thing. But I know a lot of people don't want to be bothered with all the etails..... Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM

I agree with bonniebroad about Hilo. We found it unappealing as well and ended up staying only one night.

Can't remember the name of our hotel which came highly recommended by a Hawaiian travel agent but in fact was not very clean and loaded with cockroaches. And both of us got sick, we think from food poisoning. All in all, we couldn't wait to leave and get back to Kona.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Tennischick - too bad your stay in Hilo was so bad, it's really a lovely town with a university, great restaurants and a wonderful outdoor market. It is not as touristy as Kona, and we love the east (Hilo) side of the Island and don't really feel we are in Hawaii until we are on the Hilo side. It is lush and tropical, with waterfalls close by. There are B&B in Hilo, or close by that are really nice - the Palms Cliff House and the Shipman House. Both are great. If you are on the Hilo side, try a side trip to Puna for a bit of authentic Hawaii - snorkel at Kapoho Lagoon or float in the "Warm Pond" at Ahalanui State Park, a volcanically heated pond on the edge of the ocean. Have a wonderful time, the BI is a magical place.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM
bonniebroad

GloriaE, I agree with you that the Hilo side is lush, green and tropical, and I love the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens, Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls, the Waipio Valley......... It is the real Hawaii to me....... but the town of Hilo itself ........ well, I don't think any of the hotels are that great because the one that my sister booked us into was supposed to be the best in town .... and it wasn't very good, it rains everyday (or sure seemed to), and I just remember it as "gray"........ Now, I agree that some of the B&B's nearby sound very nice, and like interesting places to stay but I couldn't recommend it as a vacation spot, based on my experience, because most people want more sunshine on a vacation. I agree that there are some good restaurants there, that the people are very friendly, and the area is just beautiful........ but wet! JMHO!

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Bonniebroad, you are correct about the Hotels in Hilo, but there are many lovely places to stay other than the hotels. Both of the Bed and Breakfasts I mentioned are really wonderful places and there are many great homes that are rented out to vacationers. Hilo is a town where real Hawaiian people live, and there is a lot of culture there. The rain has never bothered me. IMHO there is no place more beautiful that Wiapio Valley. If you are only interested in resort Hawaii, Hilo would definately not be the place to stay, but if you want to experience true Hawaii, Hilo is a wonderful place. JMHO - isn't it great that we both love the BI so much?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:25 PM
bonniebroad

Yes, GloriaE..... I think the Big Island is SO purely Hawaiian...... And I can tell you love it! I have been there for six days, twice, and that has not been nearly enough. I really enjoy the island, and the last time I was there, the magenta Bougainvillea was bursting out of the black lava on the Kona side........ just the most amazing sight. I love coffee country......... the Place of Refuge.....the Hamakua Coast.....Waimea......... VNP...... the Waikoloa Beach Marriott (there are fancier hotels, but none more Hawaiian or on a better beach.) Maybe it won't rain as much next time I go through Hilo, and maybe I'll try the Shipman House sometime!

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Bonniebroad - give it another try on your next trip. We have owned a home on the BI for the last three years and have even come to love the rain, because of how beautiful it makes the island and the waterfalls - not to mention rainbows. My favorite part of our last trip to the island (Nov.)was the Kalapana Drive in Puna to the new black sand beach that is forming. We walked across the lava a short way and planted a coconut where the beach is forming. We were all alone and could see the Puo'o vent in VNP steaming - what a sight - and the sound of the ocean on the new black sand pebbles was facinating. WE bought some local island honey there at a little stand and played with the most beautiful Hawaiian child keeping her father company - learned some new Hawaiian words. Try the Palms Cliff House B&B - it is amazing, have dinner at Kakaido in Hilo, watch the paddlers in the Bay, go to the market, float in the warm pond, go to Richardson's beach, with a view of Mauna Kea in the background. Wear your Tevas so you don't care if you feet get wet, take an umbrella and don't let a little rain stop you. When the sky is blue in Hilo, there is no more beautiful blue. Hawaii is beautiful all over.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:52 PM

GloriaE...you are right, the east side of the BI is just beautiful and I can understand why you love it so. I enjoyed our time on the road and the beauty of the east coast. Our experience in Hilo was just so miserable that I can't recommend it to anyone.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:04 PM

We stayed 8 days in Maui for our honeymoon and LOVED it... We stayed at the Westin in Kaanapali and it was so convenient. We had one flight we used AA frequent flyer miles and bought the second ticket. We also booked our car and hotel on our own. My Mother went a year later thru a travel agent and she hated their hotel - wasn't as nice as the travel agent made it out to seem.

We bought a couple of books that really helped us out especially when we were there. Great hotel, restaurant and sight seeing ideas. Called "Maui Revealed" by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman.. worth going to the book store and looking at.

Good luck, You'll have a blast.
Nancy
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:39 PM
bonniebroad

GloriaE, I am going to keep your ideas for a visit to the Hilo area........ it must be wonderful having a house on the Big Island. I could handle that!

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:51 PM

We feel really lucky - just wish we could spend more time there - have to keep working for awhile. My son lives in our home there for now - lucky guy.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM
bonniebroad

GloriaE, I just checked out the website for the Palms Cliff House......... WOW!

http://www.thepalmshawaii.com/index.htm

.........for anybody who would like to see this gorgeous place. It is truly beautiful. I could stand a couple of nights there!;-)

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM

bonniebroad - So glad you checked it out! There are many hidden gems on the east side of the BI.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM

GloriaE - we will be spending 2 nights on the Volcano side of the island. The first night we are eating at Kileau Lodge. We REALLY hope the lava is still flowing in early Sept. so we can do the evening hike to the lava. After visiting the whole day at the VNP - where should we eat before heading out to the lava?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Unless you want to go out of the park and back into Volcano Village for dinner, your options are to pack a sack lunch, or to eat at the Volcano House in the park. We did dinner there and it was wonderful.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:25 AM

ChristieP is correct - food options are limited in and around the park. We usually take food with us. Your best bet would be to eat the Volcano House. For some really great pictures and to keep current on the lava conditions, try this website: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html
We will be there in Sep. also. Have a great time!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Will we need to make reservations at the Volcano House or is it easy to just walk-in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -