Great Alaskan Holidays

Search

Great Alaskan Holidays

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Alaskan Holidays

i just returned from alaska aug 10..rented w great alaskan..this is not a bash, just a consumer alert...
upon returning the rv we were hit with a bill for what they claimed were "damages "..the problem was that the damage in question was under the rv on a piece of trim that could not be seen unless you looked under the house body...no, i did not look under it upon receiving it, and did not believe we caused the damage but were still given the repair bill whic i refused to sign, so they took it from the $400 deposit...neither the cust. serv.rep would remove the bill nor the supervisor on duty...so , yes, i left great alaskan on a sour note...( i have friends that had rented elsewhere and werent subjected to a microscopic rerturn process )...
i proceded to write the president of the company, and all has been resolved..i do and did thank him for the money back...
what i learned...1st, yes, i would rent from them again..(the vehicles were clean etc. and by resolving the issue it shows a great deal of pride on the owners part.).but when i received the rv i took their word for any damages w/out looking any further...hey, i just flew 13 hours and wanna get in the rv to see alaska....2nd..take the xtra 20 min to check under the housing,and inside for any scratches etc...yes, if i made the damage, ofcourse i am liable..which is fine...but even the smallest bit of damage should be reported as you dont know which serv.rep is going to review ur rv upon returning it..write it ALL down...i was not prepared for this as ive never rented a vehicle that was looked over so precisely..ive rented 4x4s in hawaii, out west, etc and nrver given a problem...this process w the rv was different....
just wanted you all to know and not be surprised at the end of you vacation....
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:01 AM

Good heads up. The last time I rented a vehicle (not in AK) it was in the pouring rain. We still did an inspection but the next day when it wasn't raining I realized there were two major chips in the windshield. We phoned it in right away. Maybe I would have noticed if I had sat in the drivers seat. Just another thing to think about when renting.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:18 AM

I have also rented from them, and over and over post, to take out the extra insurance waiver, which puts your deductable at zero, rather than $1000.

Frankly, HOW do you know you did not cause it??? Did you happen to stay at any campgrounds that were not all paved?? Very easy for under carriage damage, going over ruts, backing up etc.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

the extra coverage only puts your deductable to $250 and everytime i backed into a space i was helped into the spot..
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

also, i believe the cdw does not cover damage to the housing unit itself...there is fine print..i had the cdw and told them so an was told the deductable was $250...
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Only wish to add to verify the amount of gas in the vehicle as part of the inspection. We picked up a van and did not realize it was empty until after we left the rental place and was headed home. With today's prices of gas that could add up to a big sum of money -- we called Enterprise immediately and they told us to bring the vehicle back in the same condition -- ie . empty which we did.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM

With Great Alaskan's CDW coverage, the deductible is indeed $250 - better than $1000 for sure, but not great. Thanks to information I got in another forum, I forced my State Farm Agent to check with "higher ups" and I had coverage better than what I would have withGreat Alaskan. We got a rock in the windshield south of Fairbanks (on PAVED road) - their bill was $525. If I had their CDW coverage it would have cost me $250 - but with my State Farm coverage it cost $0.

Also, I broke a glass bowl provided in the vehicle - I would NEVER consider having such a thing in my personal RV!! When we checked in the vehicle I told them I had broken it - but it was really due to a faulty latch above the sink, and the bowls should NEVER have been in that cupboard. I did NOT get charged with the bowl. I could give you more good things about GAH, but I'm getting lengthy!! I'd definitely rent from them again (but NOT take their CDW coverage!)
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 11:03 AM

However, not all auto insurance covers RV's, mine did not. So the optional waiver, which at the time, brought the deductable down to zero was worthwhile to me. Thanks for the current update it's now $250.

I did get "charged" with a bent stoop, which didn't look any different to me??

But be advised, they do go over the RV's with a fine tooth comb.