grand wailea or hilton waikoloa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to maui and the big island in early june 2004. We stayed at the grand wailea last summer and loved it.(there were no crowds in early June) We have the option of staying at the hilton waikoloa or the grand but not both. For those of you that have been to both, which is the better resort?
We will be bringing 9 year old daughter.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you,

Cindy
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:45 AM
mjs

I have not stayed at the Hilton but have attended a conference there. Rooms pretty standard Hilton, not in the same class as the Grand. Water falls and pools and trains and boats perhaps better than the Grand for your 9 year old. So, I predict you will like the Grand better, your daughter may like the Hilton better.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

topping please
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:16 PM

I've stayed at both. If you didn't have a child I would pick the Grand. However, I think your daughter would love the Hilton. I would do both.

My daughter is younger, but loved watching the dolphins. Your daughter could get in the water with them. She enjoyed the lunch by the pool that comes in a sand pail. She loved the huge pools and the pool with a sand bottom. All the animal statues. The tram, the boats. Your daughter might be old enought to snorkel with the fish in the lagoon area too. She also liked the hammocks. There's plenty to do as a family.

I think of the Grand as being for me
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Since I haven't been to both, I'm maybe not qualified to answer but I do have an opinion on the Hilton. The Hilton Waikola is a nine year old's paradise. The monorail and boats that go around the property, the mini marina with all the cool little boats to rent, Dolphin Quest, etc. Your daughter will most likely love it. But it's not necessarily the best choice for adults who might want more tranquillity. No beach really either. We were on the property in mid June 2002 and there were definitely some kids but it did not seem over run with kids. Early June would have even fewer kids I would think. One negative on the property from the kids' point of view --- friends who went there reported their kids did not like the day camp program. Sorry I don't know details as to why. It could have been something very specific to that family, not a problem with the actual program.

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:08 PM

If you go during Dolphin Days it may be crowded.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

does anyone know when dolphin days are?

Thanks, cindy
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:03 PM

This year I think it is the 26-28th. Although, that may be great for your child to enjoy. I'm not sure about next year. I know we hope to go then some year.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:29 AM

checkout the live cameras,
hiltonwaikaloavillage.com
(I hope I spelled that correctly)
On the website, You can even look at all the menus at the resort. It gives you all the Dolphin info and reservation page.

Oh to be 9 again! She will love the
Hilton. Note: I got bit up by some little critter during my entire stay. My husband did not. They were not mosquitos, but my bites were tiny red itchin' machines. I had about 100! Was careful after a few days to spray on repellant. And clear camfonique?
stopped the itch. I wondered if something bred in the canal water? Take your own repellant and stuff from home ($$$) It was expensive in the gift shops. FYI.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Trying to figure out where to go in Hawaii and having a hard time!
we are older 55 & 60 moderately grouchy,funny, private and really tired. prefer small hotels w/big perks [spa ] etc, ocean front, need only beach ,dinner, decent wine.
second visit....Thinking Maui....hotel suggestions [ will NEVER go in pool]...will go in ocean. Too used to business travel so a real baby about rates. Also am discovering all hotels have ocean view in advertisment pic! Am thinking chains will be all pool , play and am really looking to just watch water and locate remaining brain cells. Stayed in Kaanapali couple of years ago on last minute trip. loved beach, disliked hotel. but the beach front was steps away.
pls any ideas...