Reload this Page >

Grand Teton Family Lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Russ Buhite

We are planning an extended family vacation in Grand Teton area and thinking about early June, 2002. Ideally, we would like to find cabins or other lodging with a kitchen or kitchenette so that we can eat in some nights and mornings. I know that Signal Mountain has at lease a couple kitchenette cabins but are there any other properties in the area that have this feature? We will probably need three separate rooms but only one would have to have a kitchenette. How early would we need to book?
Russ
Any suggestions?

Old May 12th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Leilani

The Grand Targhee Resort in Driggs, Idaho (about 10 minutes from the Wyoming border), offers all different kinds of rooms with a great view of the Tetons. We stayed in a condo that had a kitchenette, a double Murphy bed in the living room, and bunk beds for the kids, and it suited us quite nicely. They have family packages available -- check out www.grandtarghee.com

Old May 12th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Dunno

Why does this read "no replies"?

Old May 13th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Russ Buhite

Leilani,
If we were to stay at Grand Targhee in early June, would we have trouble traversing the mountain passes? It concerns me a little bit as we want to spend much of our time in the Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks and would likely fly into Idaho Falls if we were to stay in Driggs.
Grand Targhee looks more modern and plush. What are the advantages, disadvantages between Signal Mountain and Grand Targhee?

Old May 13th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Leilani

We were there in late June and had no problem with the mountain roads, although it was a good 45 minute drive into Jackson.

I've never been to Signal Mountain, but I looked at the website, and it looks beautiful. Re: Grand Targhee/Signal Mountain, I think it's a matter of mountains vs. lake. The Grand Targhee has activities like horseback riding, tennis, and a summer Cowboy Poetry Festival; our then-8 year old even participated in a sheep-riding contest -- kind of a pint-sized rodeo. Signal Mountain, since it's right on the lake, offers a lot of water-based sports and activities. If you plan to spend most of your time actually in Grand Teton National Park, you'd probably be better off with Signal Mountain, because you wouldn't want to make the drive from Driggs every day.

Old May 13th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Bob Brown

If you want to see the Tetons, don't go to Driggs. It is a long drive from the action in the park. I have stayed in Driggs, and it could be named something else. You can barely see the Tetons from there.

I am staying at Signal Mountain Lodge.
My son and his family (4 total) swear by Signal Mountain Lodge. It has a variety of accommodations and within the park boundary. In fact, my son (age 40) says that his next trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons, he will base the whole trip at Signal Mountain Lodge and drive back and forth to Yellowstone because it is much preferable to the cabins in Yellowstone. I would reserve fairly soon to be assured of what you get.
I got lucky and was able to switch dates in late May back in early April.
But don't count on it. For June, July and August bookings are heavy.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:45 PM
judy

The perfect place for your vacation is Budge's Slide Lake Cabins. Check them out at www.jacksonholecabins.com. They are just outside the eastern boundary of Grand Teton NP on a beautiful lake. We stayed in a 1 BR/1 Bath cabin with a sleeping loft, full kitchen, sleeping loft, big front porch, and laundry facilities. It is an easy drive from Jackson Hole and most GTNP sites. It is more of a haul up to Yellowstone. The southern attractions are doable from there, but you may want to book at least a couple of nights in Yellowstone so you are not spending your vacation in the car.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Perry Pillow

Without a doubt, Luton's teton Cabins are the best, I mean the very best place to stay in the Grand Tetons.

My wife, my 7 year-old, and 18 month-old stayed there the first week in August 2000.

I had the best vacation I have ever had. The owners are fabulous. The cabins are magnificent. The rates affordable. The location perfect.

Perry