Search

Grand Canyon w/Eldershostel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM
djm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon w/Eldershostel

Has anyone gone to the Grand Canyon w/ organization called Elderhostel? Two trip descriptions are:1)Peach springs, Arizona, exploring grand canyon/hiking and overnight raft trip 5 nights. includes, lodge, meals and helicopter flight out.2)Marble canyon 7 nights =, meals/lodging, cost900.00.(n airfare included) Sounds good but would be interested to hear from someone. thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a friend who travels every year with Elderhostel and loves it (not to the Grand Canyon though, her trips were all outside the U.S.)
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Jed

We have gone on several Elderhostel trips. They are usually very well run and good value. The average age is 70, but much less in the active trips. But the accommodations and meals vary between programs.

There are 70 trips that come up on a 'grand canyon' search.
http://www.elderhostel.org/programs/...d=grand+canyon
Which program numbers are you considering?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:41 AM

Elderhostel is a not-for-profit organization that offers a wide variety of educational travel experiences for adults aged 55+. When it first began, Elderhostel offered educational programs at college campuses in large cities or near places of historic interest. Because early participants stayed in college dorm rooms at times when school was not in session, Elderhostel provided a very economical travel experience for seniors. In the insuing years, Elderhostel has greatly expanded its course offerings and most programs no longer are located on college campuses. Older seniors with physical limitations tend to participate in programs centered in one location or choose tour bus or cruise options. Younger and/or more physically able seniors can now elect programs from Elderhostel's Active Outdoor offerings which can be quite physically challenging. If you check out the link that Jed provided above, you will discover that each program is rated as to its physical demands and you can select a program accordingly. From the two brief trip descriptions you listed in your original post, I would guess that the Peach Springs AZ trip will be far more physically challenging that the Marble Canyon one.

My husband and I have participated in 5 Elderhostel programs since retiring at the age of 55 four years ago. From our experiences, I believe that this organization offers a wealth of educational travel options, although I will caution you that Elderhostel may cancel programs with small enrollments up to thirty days before their start date. Therefore it is wise to make your flight arrangements through Elderhostel, or wait until after that cancelation deadline before booking your flights.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Jed

We have never had a program cancelled. But if there is concern about cancelling, you can ask when you sign up as to how many are already signed up, and act accordingly.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM

We've never had a program canceled on us either, Jed, but that's the big risk I see when booking a trip with Elderhostel. I've spoken with others who have had programs canceled on them after they booked their airfare, leaving them some tough choices..... keep the flight and make other travel plans at that gateway, or salvage whatever you can from a ticket transfer. It really gets tricky if you're not retired yet and discover that you only have 30 days to make alternative travel plans during your vacation window. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed every one of the Elderhostel programs we've attended and my husband and I just registered for another one this coming January..... However, this organization does cancel programs if they cannot enroll enough participants to cover their costs, period!

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Jed

Just before we left on an Elderhostel trip to Italy this Oct 4, a friend of ours had his trip to Argentina with Philadelphia Zoo cancelled because of inadequate enrollment. It happens!!

We're registered for another Elderhostel trip next summer. Before we pay for air tickets, I will check the enrollment numbers.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Yes, we went to an EH program located at Peach Springs last March. The focus is on the Hualapai culture and the Grand Canyon geology. Ours had no rafting or helicopter but trips to the rim and hiking down to the river plus classes and touring on reservation. Stay in a fine motel run by the Hualapai. What you describe sounds like a more active program.

We combined this with a general touring of Arizona incl. Canyon de Chelley and Flagstaff and Tucson, etc.
The EH was our 23rd such program, mostly domestic plus Ireland, Puerto Rico. Comments made already are good descriptiions of EH and yes, some danger of cancellation which I feel may be premature. But you can keep in touch. Also would recommend a site with reviews of past programs (I don't have it in hand but will post again). Contact me with questions.

ozarksbill (Bill)
[email protected]
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM
ron

I did book one of the Peach Springs Elderhostel holidays, operated by Yavapai College, for October 2005. It was cancelled due to lack of attendees, but I was able to transfer to one of the holidays based in the Grand Canyon National Park, operated by Northern Arizona University. I had to adjust dates, but that was not an issue because I was driving, not flying.

In any event the holiday at the Grand Canyon and another at Lake Powell were excellent experiences. I suspect the same would have been true at Peach Springs, had it been available.