Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon/Southern Utah - Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:57 AM
Liz Washko

We are planning a trip to Southern Utah (Bryce, Zion) and the north rim of the Grand Canyon in June or July of this year. Any thoughts on places to stay (hotels, not campgrounds) in either area? What is the best (most convenient, economical) airport to fly into in order to access this region? Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:01 AM
J T Kirk

We did the same trip a few years ago in May. We flew into Las Vegas. But we focused on Bryce and Zion. We only spent a night at the G .C. (We've seen it before.) We stayed in a little motel in Kanab, Utah. Kinda low-key. Can't remember the name of it. This June and July might be a little tough - at this date -- to find a place. So, good luck. By the way, it may sound like a lot of driving (flying into Las Vegas) but it really wasn't. the place is just SO scenic. Check out the Coral Pink Sand Dunes outside of Kanab. Cool place. Have fun.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:36 PM
cash

Liz,
Las Vegas is the airport as mentioned above. We did this trip 2yrs ago. The north rim of GC is a long drive so I wouldn't stay anywhere but at the motel/cabins in the park. We also stayed at Bryce inside, but there were a few motels just outside the park - this was my favorite destination. Zion has lots of motels right outside and close by as well as inside. Space may be at a premium so you should try to book ASAP. It is a beautiful part of our country. Enjoy.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:57 PM
Sara

For lodging at Zion, I highly recommend Flanigan's in Springdale, right outside the park entrance. Great rooms with patios, good restaurant, nice pool and hot tub, beautifully landscaped with gorgeous scenery, and reasonably priced - we loved it. Go to <www.flanigans.com> to check it out.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:48 AM
rqf

Las Vegas. Zion - Springdale is about 3 miles from the Park and there are lots of motels. Flanagan's, mentioned in another note, would be a good choice. There is also a Best Western. There is also a Best Western in Bryce. It is one of the most popular places to stay. The lodge in the park is a good choice for Gr. Canyon. If not available you would have to stay in Jacobs Lake, about 50 miles away.

I can provide names for motels if you want them.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:54 PM
mark

My wife and I did this trip a few years ago. It was probably my favorite vacation ever. We were grad students then and didn't have much money but still ate and slept well. We flew into Las Vegas and rented a Pathfinder. From there went to Zion where we stayed at an Econo Lodge. I forget the town. On the way to Zion from LV you pass the town/city of St. George which was really nice and probably has hotels. I joke with my wife that we should leave cold rainy New England and move to St George.

Anyways, we then went to Bryce which was THE BEST park on our trip (better then the Grand CAnyon!) We slept in the Pathfinder there at the park but I believe there was a Best Westen nearby.

Then we hit Capital Reef which was a weird place - right out of a Star TRek episode. Very quiet and surreal. We stayed at a place i believe was called the ______wagon. It was cheap and had a cheesey name - maybe Chuckwagon?

The we went to Arches but on the way stopped at Goblin Park. Who needs drugs when you have parks like this. Goblin Park has these formations that look like chocolate Mushrooms. Very very bizarre. It is just off the highway and on ly costs a couple bucks. Chgeck it out, you'll never forget it.

Then we hit arches which was nice. The arches look just like they do in the calendars. I think we stayed at a Best Western there in Moab.

Lastly we made it to the G Canyon. We stayed at an Econo Lodge by Lake Powell. There really aren't a lot of cheap motels on the north side of the Grand Canyon. The econo lodge was prbably 45 minutes away.

Then back to vegas. HAve fun. I wish I was going!