Grand Canyon Skywalk

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Skywalk

My husband and I will be flying into LV 9/18, we have two wks, want to see Skywalk, GC, Zion, Arches, Bryce to name a few. Would appreciate advice on best approach...GC area first or last? Also, it is unclear to me where would be the best place to stay the night before the Skywalk? Looks like Kingman?? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
J62

Just finished a trip to GC and Zion. Several people we met said the skywalk was the biggest waste of time and $$ of their whole trip.

Personally we enjoyed Zion much more than GC. The size and majesty of GC is unparalleled, but unless you are a serious hiker you don't get much past the rim if at all.

At Zion you get to hang out/hike/explore right in the canyon & river. Much more up close and personal experience & lots to do.

I would recommend GC first, then loop around to Bryce, Zion, then back to Vegas.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:35 PM

I haven't gone out to the Skywalk, not sure I'd spend the money. Have you checked the prices for getting there and the doing the skywalk?

Kingman would probably be the closed place to spend the night.

Not sure when you fly back home, but two weeks ends on Labor Day weekend. You don't want to be at the Grand Canyon on a holiday weekend...you really don't want to be at any of the National Parks!

I'd do your circle starting with the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Capitol Reef National Park, Scenic Hwy 12 down to Bryce and end in Zion. It is just a fast 3 hour drive back to Las Vegas from Zion.

Utahtea
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM

We stayed in Laughlin (small gambling town on the Colorado) rooms for $30 when we went to see the Skywalk, and don't take any notice of the people who say it is not worth the money, I would have paid double to walk on that walkway, its amazing. Bryce canyon is in my opinion more breathtaking than the Grand Canyon.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the opinions and advise. Where did you stay in the Bryce Canyon area?

Also, was looking at staying in Tusayan while at the south rim but seems that the prices are exhorbitant, is it really advantageous to stay that close or is Williams just as well? Linda
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM

I would see the Grand Canyon from the North Rim and skip the skywalk. If you decide to see GC from south rim, consider a helicopter ride.

I would start with GC and spend one night there. I would do Antelope Canyon near Page in route to Zion. I would spend 2 days in Zion and the 2 days in Bryce. Drive hwy 12 from Bryce to Capital Reef. Stop at
Calf Creek Falls along the way. This area is Escalante area and there is a lot to do there. Spend 2 days at Cap Reef before heading over to Arches/Canyonlands/Moab. Heading to Moab from Cap Reef, stop at Goblin Valley State Park and Dead Horse Point State Park. If you are adventurous check out canyoneering www.deserthighlights.com

I would allow 3 days in Moab. I would suggest rafting Cateract Canyon in Canyonlands, but I don't know if they do it in Sept. If you do that add 2 or 3 more days to Moab.

canyoneering is also available in Zion, cap reef, and escalante. But I have only done it in Arches with desert highlights.

You might want to swing through Monument Valley. Natural Bridges National Monument is good place. You will also be fairly close to Mesa Verde and 4 Corners. I only plan on a day or two in Vegas, unless you really like to gamble.

I would stay in the lodges in Zion, GC, and Bryce if they are available. Moab, and Cap Reef have a variety of lodging options
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM

We stayed in Williams, it is just as handy and motels/hotels a lot cheaper, look on Expedia. When we visited Bryce Canyon we stayed at Ruby's Inn, which is two miles from Bryce, good location , nice motel with restuarant attached. Check it out on Expedia. Have a nice trip, we are thinking of going to Bryce again as it is breathtaking.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great advice! I appreciate it very much and hope to pay it forward by helping travelers to areas I am familiar with! Linda
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
J62

Regarding the advice "We stayed in Williams, it is just as handy" I guess it's all relative, considering it's at least 1hr drive from Williams to the Park.

If you desire is to just visit the rim - basically buzz in for one day and then leave, that's correct info. If you have any intention of spending part of a 2nd day or early am/sunset quality time at GC, then in-park lodging and even Tusayan with the free shuttle are just a wee bit more handy.

I'm not telling you to ignore the advice of others (that would be crass), just that I have a different opinion.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM

To me (and many others) "The Grand Canyon" means either the South Rim or the North Rim areas in the Grand Canyon National Park. The Skywalk is in the West Rim area and quite far from the National Park. Regardless of whether you want to spend the time and money to go there, I would strongly recommend that you visit the National Park proper.

The ideal place to stay for a South/North Rim visit is within the National Park but I think your options will be limited for September since rooms book up to a year in advance. Tusayan is the closest town otherwise (to the South Rim.)

If you have any inclination to hike at all, I would highly recommend a hike "below the Rim" at the GC -- it gives you a completely different perspective of the Canyon.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM

If you are going to visit the NP the only way to see them is to stay in them.That is my opinion , at least

Melissa
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Stay at the South Rim....we just got back, it is truly worth the money to stay on the Rim....Williams is too far, trust me, we drove it.