Grand Canyon - Rim to rim hike

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I got inspired listening to hikers at the North Rim who had just completed their hike. I spent some time last night reading trip reports found by googling. Would love to hear from any Fodorites regarding their experiences.

The main surprise for me, after talking to the ranger on an evening's ranger led hike, was that water is pretty much a non-issue. I didn't realize how often water was available during the hike. I'm thinking I'd prefer not to camp but to stay at Phantom Ranch. If so, how is that longer leg of the hike (without camping on the way down?)

Thanks for any input.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:22 AM

This URL should help:

www.kaibab.org/gc/bc/gc_trips.htm

I'm not sure what you mean by water being a "non-issue," because it most definitely is. Yes, there are places to refill your canteen on the Bright Angel and the NORTH Kaibab, but only on those trails -- and even these fail at times. So when you plan your first trip, stay on trails where water is LESS of an issue.

Also, on a first trip into the Canyon, I'd recommend two days on the North Kaibab.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:25 AM

I totally agree with PaulRabe about the water question. I, too, am not sure what you (or the ranger) mean when you say, it's a "non-issue," but it's should be something you're very careful and concerned about and take steps to make sure you have enough throughout the hike.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I agree with that water is an issue. I understand how important hydration is, especially in that climate and those conditions. I was under the impression that one needed to pack all the water you needed in, and the ranger's point was that there were plenty of places to refill. He said you only needed enough water to get from point to point - not the entire hike.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PaulRabe. I used that link to read trip reports last night.

Which generated one of my questions. The ranger suggested to go all the way from NR to PR on Day 1, spend Day 2 at the bottom, and then hike back up to SR on Day 3. When I read trip reports last night, many hikers stayed at Cottonwood on the way down from NR.

Maybe the ranger info wasn't as accurate or helpful as I first thought?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Well, wondering about the accuracy of the ranger's advice makes me think of another question. He recommended going NR to SR. The hikers I talked to had come from SR to NR. I understand the difference in elevation from NR to SR and supposed that was the reason he recommended to start at NR. But, the trip reports I read talked about the steepness of the last leg of the Bright Angel trail before the SR.

So, do you have a preference?

The hikers also used a car service to shuttle their car so it was waiting for them on the NR. The reports I read last night all were by hikers who used a shuttle service to move THEMSELVES from one rim to another, not their vehicle. Have any of you used the car shuttle service?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

If I do this next year, I would like to hike it in Sept or October - as late in the year as possible but understand that the NR closes for winter. We had snow in Yellowstone on Oct 15th one year, so I think earlier Oct would be a safer bet. Do you agree?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:03 AM
TheWeasel

The suggested itineraries for rim to rim hikes usually have 3 nights at the bottom. It's 6.8 miles from the N. Rim to Cottonwood and over 13 miles to Phantom Ranch. Perhaps the ranger recommended hiking all the way to PR because you said you didn't want to camp? I think this trip is going to be pretty tough if you don't want to camp - it'll make for a long day down, and a long day going up. Most people would stay at Indian Gardens and Cottonwood as mid-way points on their way up or down, and no camping means you'd add significant mileage to the hike in and out.

Not sure why you don't want to camp, but if equipment is an issue, keep in mind there are places you can rent the gear (tent, sleeping bag, backpack, etc.).

As for the water being a non-issue, carry a filter and you'd be pretty close to making it a non-issue. You'll be passing by several locations with year-round purified water, and unless the pipeline breaks or something, you can plan on refilling at those places. Because of the remote possibility that there could be an issue with those water sources, a water filter would be essential. I don't think there's any worry that the Colorado River is going to dry up, and there are other natural sources that would be usable when you're not right on the river.

It's good that you're reading trip reports. I'd suggest you go over backpacker.com and check out their forums. I'm sure you'll have many more people over there that have done a rim to rim hike. I trust you've already done some research on nps.gov/grca as well.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Weasal. I'll check those links out. Last night was the first night on the boards researching and reading. Just got back from the North Rim. I'm ready to start the exercise program to get me ready for next year!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
TheWeasel

This is also a good website with tons of info and links to some trip reports.
http://www.hitthetrail.com/index.html

There was a TR from a guy who went S Rim to N rim. His reasoning was that: he'd rather finish at the N rim because it was cooler, less crowded, and they'd have more time to explore the N rim. He did this despite knowing they'd have at least an extra 1000 feet of elevation gain going this direction. They used the shuttle to get back to the S rim - I've not seen anyone talk about using a car shuttle service. If it were me doing this, I'd ride the shuttle to the starting point and leave my car so it was waiting when I finished. The shuttle runs 'til the end of October, so mid-October should be fine (although it's a charter service after the 15th).

Good luck on this. I'm going there in November but doing the easier S. Rim to the river and back route, so unfortunately I won't be able to shed much light on your questions regarding the rim to rim route.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Starrsy, I smell a Fodorite rim-to-rim hiking expedition . . . whatcha think, girl?!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

I'm in. Come join me! Sept/Oct '07.