Grand Canyon Question

Old May 21st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Question

This may seem utterly idiotic, and I apologize in advance, but is there a way to see the North and South rims of the canyon on the same trip?

How is this done? I am sure there isn't a crossing, and isn't "driving around" a really far trip?

I am just beginning my research, and want to maximize our trip, and I am confused about distances. We will probably start in Phoenix.

Thanks, Debbie
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:14 PM

I am guessing you are from the east coast or some other congested area of the US. When we visited UT and AZ 2 summers ago, the distances from place to place were really amazing. (We are from Boston area). Another source of your confusion might be that some mapping programs get a little perplexed if you enter "Grand Canyon" as your destination.

That said, yes, you must "drive around". Having only seen the South Rim, I am not one to give advice about which is "better" - but from Phoenix the logical view is from the South Rim.
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:21 PM

Those that have been to both rims, have told me they would not do both again in the same trip.

I'd go to the South Rim and then head to another and different destination.

I guess you could try the Thelma and Louise jump...
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gail

You have it correct: I am from the East Coast. I live and have always lived in city-center Pittsburgh. The rest of my family lives in Manhattan. I work in Florence, Italy. I am just not used to wide open spaces!

I'm not too concerned about which is "best" but I would like to see a good deal on this trip. However, driving for hours and hours isn't really my favorite thing to do. I guess it is the South Rim for us. We will probably fly into Phoenix and then travel to Sedona and the GC.

I am trying to arrange this trip for my husband's 50th birthday, as a surprise. When he goes to work tomorrow night, I will call for airline tickets. If that goes well, more detailed planning will start.

Any tips from your trip would be appreciated. Was there a particular guide book that you found helpful.

Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

starrsville, I hated Thelma and Louise. ;-) Although there is something to be said for the young Brad Pitt...
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:32 PM

Depending on your route, I would consider an open jaw ticket. If you fly into Phoenix, I'd head north, stop in Sedona, head to the Grand Canyon, east through Monument Valley to Four Corners, then to Durango with a stop at Mesa Verde. Then, I'd either head north and see some of Colorado and fly out of Denver, or head south over high desert and see Taos and Sante Fe and fly out of Albuquerque.

If there is time, I'd work in Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater, but they'd be on my B list.

Give it some thought before you book tickets. We ARE talking about wide-open spaces. If you are going for more than a few days, you may want to fly in and out of different cities and not retrace your steps.

If you DO head back to Phoenix from the GC, consider driving through the White Mountains and over to Scottsdale. I couldn't believe that high, cool terrain was AZ!
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM

Or you could head towards Southern Utah and see Bryce and Zion National Parks and then fly out of Las Vegas.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:07 AM

If you do fly from different airports, just be aware that a one-way car rental will be substantially more expensive than a round-trip. Not saying not to do that (we are) but there is a cost difference.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 10:41 PM

If you really had your heart set on seeing the canyon from both rims, then I would fly in and out of Las Vegas and make a circle. Sedona, South Rim, North Rim, Bryce Canyon National Park and Zion National Park.

Fly into Phoenix and out of Las Vegas only saves you 170 miles on the above trip.

You said driving for miles and miles is not your favorite thing to do, but you have never driven in this scenic part of the country so you might be surprized at how much you enjoy the getting there!

This is what Hwy 89 looks like driving north from Cameron, AZ towards Page, AZ.

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...3/hwy%2089.htm

Utahtea
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:16 AM

Thelma and Louise trivia:

The filming of the jump scene at the end of the movie did not take place at the Grand Canyon however....

Shortly after that movie was out, 5 or 6 people in real life did choose to speed off a Grand Canyon edge in their car as their choice of ending it all.

Great factual book: Death in the Grand Canyon. Chronicles death in the GC going back to Powell's days. Lots of interesting facts.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM

The scene in Thelma and Louise where they drive the car off the rim was filmed near Moab, Utah just below Dead Horse State Park and near Canyonlands National Park. The road starts out from Moab as the Potash Road and runs into the Shafer Trail....been on that section of the road twice...had no desire what so ever to run off the cliff!

Utahtea