Grand Canyon North Rim

Search

Grand Canyon North Rim

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon North Rim

We are spending one night this summer at the North Rim Lodge, arriving from Bryce. Is driving the Cape Royal drive is worth the time? Can anyone tell us how much time is needed to drive to Imperial Point then onto Cape Royal then back to the Lodge? Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:16 AM

It is 23 miles from the lodge to Cape Royal. The road to Point Imperial is an additional 11 miles. So round trip, it would be 68 miles. It is a very winding road, which slows things down a bit. There are several scenic places to stop along the way. It can definitely be done in a half a day. If you plan to do any hiking (there are some great trails along the way) leave more time. The views from Cape Royal are really spectacular - it juts out into the canyon and you actually walk out over Angel's Window. (Check out this website for a pic of Cape Royal - you will actually walk out to the edge of the cliff in the photo -http://www.kaibab.org/images/gc_angel.htm
Much of the drive there is through a burned out area of the forest, which was very interesting if not particularly scenic.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 09:30 AM

We did exactly the same thing last year, arriving from Bryce for one night at the north rim before traveling on to the south rim. We enjoyed our time at the north rim so much more than the two nights we spent in the south. It is more issolated, less congested, and the views are just spectacular and far less encumbered by throngs of people. The Cape Royal drive is definitely worth the time.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:10 PM

I have reservations for two nights in July in a North Rim frontier cabin. Has anyone stayed in one of these? I know they're small, but will it be comfortable enough for two adults? Everything else is sold out on the North Rim.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM

I stayed in a frontier cabin last summer - I was not impressed. The cabin is small but fine for two. It had one double and one single bed and a desk and chair and that was it. The bathroom was very tight but clean - a very small shower stall only. My big problem was with the furniture, carpet, linens. Furniture from 1970s Howard Johnsons, stained and worn carpet and bedspreads, and sheets too small for the bed. I know that the Lodge is isolated, but I still think that this is unacceptable for the price you pay for the cabin. I might have even viewed it as quaint if I wasn't so skeeved by the bedsreads. They also can get pretty hot when the sun is up. Perhaps not all of the frontier cabins are as bad.

I was in the same situation as you - everything else sold out when I made my reservations, and in that case it is worth staying in one. I was really only in the cabin to sleep, and for that it was fine. The lodge itself is so spectacular that any awake time I wasn't out exploring the canyon, I was lounging in the lodge. If I had a choice I would stay in a western cabin, but as you indicated - you can't be picky at this point.

Don't go expecting much from your cabin, and you will be fine. The lodge and the canyon itself will make you forget all about it.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Has anyone driven the Point Sublime trail? I see that this is a 17-mile dirt road and am wondering if I can drive a regular passenger car on it. Is this drive worth it ? I will be at the north rim mid-May (if that makes a difference). thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Definitely worth it, but definitely not to be done in regular passenger vehicle - road is very sandy at some points, very steep at some points, and very bumpy at all points - you won't have the clearance you need in a car.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Could you tell me when is the best time of day to visit either Cape Royal or Point Imperial? Thank you.