Grand Canyon in December

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:45 AM
denise benoit

Grand Canyon in December

is it crazy to think about visiting the Grand Canyon in December, around Christmas?

If it's not going to be warm, what other parts of Arizona are good in December?

thanks,

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:01 AM
kkj

No, it's not going to be warm at the Grand Canyon. There most likely will be snow. Having said that December is a beautiful time to see the area. The snow adds so much to the area. Lots of visitors go to the Canyon during the winter. I am assuming that you are talking about the South Rim as the North Rim is closed during the winter.

It will be warmer in Tucson and Phoenix. If you want to swim be sure and stay at a resort that has a heated pool. Natives consider December too cold to swim. Even with warm water, the outside temperature doesn't lend itself to wanting to swim.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:11 AM
rob

we went the second week of december several years ago and it was nice.....a light sprinkle of snow one day which burned off by late morning......nice, cool hiking weather.....with the nights getting pretty cold.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Mar

We had a lovely Christmas week at the Grand Canyon one year. Warm enough for light jackets during the day, but probably 22 degrees at night. I never saw such amazing stars in my life though so it was worthwhile to go out at night for stargazing. We had a light snowfall which the kids loved! Interesting mix of people though; lots of foreigners which we guessed was because they work in US, had the week off, but didn't have family obligations for the holidays. Anyway, we'd recommend it but take a good warm jacket, hat and gloves.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:30 PM
traveler

Our family visited the Grand Canyon the day after Christmas one year. It was soooo beautiful there. Crisp, but no snow. The BEAUTIFUL El Tovar lodge had a Tree decorated. The restaurant was quite full. Great meal. The El Tovar lodge had a last minute cancellation and they applied what we had paid for the other lodge to that lodge and we ended up with the V.I.P. Suite! It was so memorable. On the third (or fourth) floor. Had a huge balcony/patio that faced the canyon. It was for only one night ao it was worth the $250. That was about five years ago. Simply unforgettable.