Grand Canyon in December???

Aug 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon in December???

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary this December and would like to visit the Grand Canyon. You read correclty, in December. Are we crazy to even think about doing this? And did I mention to say that we will be taking along our 11 & 12 yrs old boys and our 10 month old daughter.

If we decide to go through with this is it better to rent a car, fly by plane? Although driving by car would be nice to catch all the scenery along the way. We are in southern California.....PLEASE HELP!!! THANK YOU
Aug 25th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Um, Dec will quite likely be very cold - not the best time of year to do this.

What are you planning on doing/seeing? Assume yuo won;t be doing any hikes with a 10 month old.
Aug 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Although December at The Canyon will, indeed, be cold, there is NEVER a bad time to visit the place, as long as you properly prepare. Amongst the things to be think about-
-Although snowstorms are rare in Arizona, they do happen, so build in a little flexibility and watch the Weather Channel.
-Although lodging will be easier in December than in August, you will still need to make reservations weeks, if not months, in advance. Do NOT arrive here without a firm reservation!
-Did we forget to mention that it will be COLD when you are there?

It's been over 48 years years since I first peered over the rim of The Canyon. Five subsequent trips, including two to the River, have neither dimmed my memory of that sense of amazement, nor ever caused me to lose it in later viewings. It is one of those places I actually claim is UNDER-rated simply because neither words nor photos are adequate to capture its essence.

Maybe you'll be lucky and see something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/GrCanyWint
Aug 25th, 2010, 02:40 PM

The Grand Canyon in winter is high on my bucket list. There is a big New Years party, if that interests you. Phoenix and Vegas are the closest major airports so you need to decide if driving from home or flying/renting a car is your best best option. Sounds like a nice way to spend your anniversary. Sunrise with champagne! Romantic as he!!. If you can swing El Tovar, I would choose that hotel and let them know it's your anniversary.
Aug 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM

I've been to the Canyon twice in the wintertime, with snow on the ground on the South Rim, and it is absolutely spectacular! The white frosting on the upper reaches of the canyon against the reddish hues of the rock is beautiful. I caught an incredible shot of a rainbow down below inside the canyon on one showery day. Christmas time at the lodge is beautiful, but advance reservations are needed. You would not be alone, for sure! Bring warm clothing and enjoy the different perspective that wintertime would bring in this area.
Sep 4th, 2010, 01:51 PM

I happened to see this, and although it is a little late, I would like to add a suggestion. If there is any way you can make time to hike down into the canyon, it is fantastic. Winter is the best time, to me. We have done it in Feb. 3 times, and usually it is snowy at the top. We wore crampons when we began, and took them off about an hour in. At the bottom it is light jacket or tee shirt weather. The hike is so beautiful-we even saw a rainbow. The never-ending canyons/mesas/ecosystem are delightful. We stay over 1 or 2 nights at the bottom, in the campground. You can get meals at Phantom Ranch, if you book ahead. In fact, you need to book all ahead, including a hiking permit. Usually need to apply about 3-5 months advance. You can pack your stuff in or pay to have a mule carry it. You could also stay at the PR cabins or dorm rooms, but they are usually full about a year or two ahead!!
This is a fabulous experience!!
Sep 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM

I agree with karn! It's seriously balmy at the bottom of the canyon, even at the height of winter. We stayed in a tent at the Phantom Ranch campground, but ate dinner and breakfast in the cafeteria. Dinner was esp delicious, and not just because I was famished. I'd love to do it again soon!
Sep 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM

"If there is any way you can make time to hike down into the canyon, it is fantastic."

NOT w/ a 10 month old it wouldn't -- IMHO
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:33 AM

With such a small kid, I would not prefer Dec for the trip as it will be extremely cold. If that is not the concern for you, it’s a scenic place for sure and you will have a great trip.
Sep 14th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I say go for it!! I say go for the hike as well, even if you have a kid on your back. You know you limitations. If it is icy and snowy and you feel you might fall, simply don't go any further. You might consider a helicopter ride.

The Grand Canyon isn't might favorite National Park, but it is the one sight that I always compare everything else to. Your first time to peer over the canyon will almost bring you to your knees. Yosemite and Crater Lake would rank as my next two "really wow" moments, but they don't come close to the GC first sight. I have been 3 times, including one rafting trip. I still want to hike rim to rim, see Havasu Falls, and stay on the North Side. So I have 2 or 3 more trips to still make there.

Have A Great Trip!! Take your older kids to as many National Parks as you can. We started doing parks with my daughter at age 11(now 16). They are inexpensive and(outside of church) probably the best thing we have ever done together as a family. Living in California, you have many many opportunities. Don't just see them, experience them.
Sep 15th, 2010, 12:35 AM

Spirobulldog. If you want some "really wow" moments visit Iceland.

Search this Thread