Notices

Grand Canyon Help Needed

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Gina

Grand Canyon Help Needed

We are gong to the Grand Canyon the first week of April. We have 2 days there and I am wondering what to do there. I am afraid of heights so after reading this webiste dedcided I would not enjoy the mule ride. Would like to do some hiking if it's not too heavy duty. Read that the Bright Angel trail was one of the easier trails, but is also the trail the mules go on and that there may be mule droppings along the way. Soudns liek a pleasant hike! Also would have to give right of way to the mules, just how many are passing by anyway? Any suggestions on a hike that's about 2 hrs? Anyone done a bus tour that the park service offers? Will 2 days be too mcuh there for us? Any help would be appreciated. We are staying at El Tovar and also have dinner res. there.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Kathy

We were there with our kids several years ago and hiked a trail right along the top of the canyon. It was great! Take the shuttle bus a few miles to practically the end of the road, then get out and walk the trail back to where the shuttled started. Beautiful views the entire way and no climbing!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 03:05 PM
x

the mules pass early am about 8-and some return from 1-2 day trip about noon and day trips return about 5,so time it when they`re not on the trail..yes they have the right of way..yo have to get up against the wall and out of their way...there is atrip for about $22 ck at the Mule trip desk..it`s an afternoon trip...very nice...heli and plane flyovers are nice...ranger talk,etc...

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 03:09 PM
x

the $22 trips are bus trips..there is another trail(Kaibab)but it is steeper...carry plenty of water...you dry up very fast...ck the canyon.com for info..and amfac.com----grand-canyon.com---

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:12 AM
RB

Until the NPS gets the park pages back up on the Web, check out the Grand Canyon Explorer site: www.kaibab.org
It has information on hiking trails, park activities, etc. There is enough room on the trail so when mules pass, you don't feel too "squinched." As previous poster notes, the tours just come through at specified times, so it's not like a continuous mule train. Best advice is to wear a hat and carry water, even if you just think you'll walk a little ways down a path. The scenery is so amazing, you'll always walk further than you think, and the mix of high altitude/low humidity can really dry you out in a hurrty. I haven't hiked South Rim, but Bright Angel looks like the best hike for your desired level of activity. Have a great trip!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:59 AM
rob

...hiked bright angel and kaibab trails back in '97. yes, there was A LOT of mule poop on bright angel....it had just snowed so everything was nice and slushy. heed all the warnings....bring food and water. the hike back up is more difficult than the hike down...and the hike down can be very rough on your knees ,etc...because of the steep incline. i think we hiked to indian gardens and back in about 4 hours and it was several more miles to the river. that portion is on flat terrain. i liked kaibab (about 1 mile east of BA)more than bright angel only because there were less hikers (and less mule poop) on that trail.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Gina

Thanks to all that responded. Sounds like Kathy's post is more in line with what I had in mind. Does Kathy or anyone know which trail Kathy is referring to? Is there only one shuttle bus so when I get there the shuttle driver will know what I'm talking about? What about the name of the raod and she mentions to go practically to the end, how will we know where that is? Any addn'l info here would be great! Sounds just perfect. Not into heavy duty hiking, but want to see as much as we can!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Cindy

We spent 2 nights at the Grand Canyon last July. We hiked the Bright Angel trail which is quite steep, but not too difficult if you are in reasonable shape. The mule poop was at its worst for about the first 1/4 mile of the trail (they must do their business right after breakfast as they are departing). After that you'll come across it occassionally. No big deal. If the mules pass you (maybe 20?), they must walk along the outside of the trail, so you would have to stand by a wall. If that would bother you, wait until after they depart to start your hike. Some people in our group hiked to the first watering station (has bathroom and water) which is 1 1/2 miles inside the canyon, the rest of us hiked to the 3 mile watering station. If your not in great shape, I would not venture past that. Remember, dehydration is a serious problem in the canyon. Bring/drink plenty of water and do not count on the refilling stations to provide you with more, as some times they are out of order. Keep in mind, the hike out of the canyon is more difficult than the hike in, so plan accordingly.
On our trip, we arrived at the park at sunset, and spent the whole next day hiking, had an early dinner at the Arizona Steakhouse on the rim (pretty good food, probably about the best you'll get in the park), and enjoyed the rest of the evening watching the animals lounge around the canyon (both on the rim and inside the canyon)until sunset. After sunrise the following morning, we took the bus tour around the rim. It was ok. We left after that. I thought our lenghth of stay was perfect. You really have to hang around for awhile to appreciate the beauty of the canyon. Enjoy your trip! (I would love to go back and do that mule ride!)

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:52 AM
jpm

The National Park Site is back online!

It can be found at www.nps.gov

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Gina

I went on the nps.gov website,and it looks like Kathy must've been on the Hermits Rest Route. I see that the bus only stops at Mohave and Hpoi on the return so she must've walked somewhere in the Hopi to Abyss range...think we may try that walk. Thanks all!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Penny

Dear Gina,

Yes, the Hermits Rest Trail--it's basically a paved walkway along the rim, as I recall. Very easy, and also very beautiful.

I too am frightened of heights and did have some difficulty on the Bright Angel Trail--we were there in mid-April, and there was still some ice on the trail. Combined with mule poop and occasionally narrow trails, it made me more than a bit nervous. However, do try a bit--it's nice to get down into the canyon and not just be at the top. I think we walked in for about half an hour and then turned around. (Our kids were young, too, and I was worried about them taking a tumble.) Even if you did just 15 minutes in and out you'd be fine and it would give you a sense of the vastness.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Kathy

Gina, I'm glad someone could tell you the name of the trail along the canyon rim. Have fun! If you have a couple of extra days, consider visiting Canyon de Chelley a few hours northeast of the Grand Canyon. (If my memory is correct!) You can travel down into this canyon (an all day trip and reservations are a must)in these enormous military-like vehicles with native guides. This canyon is awesome, with ancient cliffside dwellings and sheer, sandstone walls. The top rim of the canyon is a national monument and the canyon itself is an indian reservation.