Grand Canyon Excursions from Las Vegas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Vegas the end of July (2 adults). Have been quite a few times before but have never "done" the day-long excursions to the Grand Canyon. I see 3 main companies that offer these trips and the prices vary a little. We're thinking of trying the plane to the Canyon, heli down into the canyon and floating raft down the river -- and back out again. Has anyone done this tour? Worth the money? Best company to book? Any thoughts or suggestions on this -- or a better -- trip? Thanks much for your comments and help.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM

I don't know about that trip exactly but I tell what is worth it, Hiking down into the canyon and seeing the waterfalls and staying on the reservation in Havasu. Worth Every penny. You can even take a helicopter in and out
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM

I"m a bit confused because what you've described can't really be done in a single day ... or am I missing something? At least not the rafting part.

Also, the helicopter trip down to the bottom of the canyon is only available on the Havasupai reservation, not in the national park, and it's considerably west of the airport, which is near the south rim. I'm sure it's easy enough to get to the west rim by helicopter from Las Vegas, but a plane right doesn't seem possible to me given the extra drive.

Personally, I do not support helicopter flyovers of the canyon, but that's really a personal opinion and not really relevant here. It's certainly more practical to fly to the canyon than drive, and it makes the day much less tiring, leaving you more time to hike and enjoy the views. So for a single-day trip, I think the flight is a must and probably well worth the money, though I've never done it myself.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM

None of the rafting or helicopter tours actually go into the park. They are prohibited from being in the park. They go into a canyon west of the park.

I just prefer to drive to the real Grand Canyon National Park, see sunset, stay overnight and see the sunrise. The peace, vista, and immense ancient tranquility of the place is just not something in a commercial helicopter tour.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Havasu is not in the park, either.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. You're right Doug -- in checking the info, the copter goes into the Reservation (not the Canyon) -- and the "rafting" part of the trip is really on a pontoon for only about an hour. I didn't realize that when first looking at the tour description. I appreciate everyone's stance on spending time hiking in the Canyon and not using vehicles whenever possible -- and normally, I would be solidly in that camp. But we're on a tight time budget and already have reservations in Las Vegas (with no possibility of extending our stay), so our only option is one of the day trips. I guess my question is more about these excursions and the companies that offer them -- whether they are worth the time and money. Thanks, I appreciate your input.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM

There are flights that will take you to the airport on the south rim and then bus to the NP and bus you to some viewpoints on the way and fly you back to Vegas by dinner time. These are in small planes and the view on the way is very nice. If you only have one day it is better than nothing but make time to spend a night or more there if you can.