Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon Day Trip, What to see w/ limited time.

Notices

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all explain the different "rims". Is there really a western rim? I have read that the south rim is better. Where is the south rim located? We will be in Las Vegas and thought we would drive to the Grand Canyon but it seems like there is too much to see for a day trip. We will not be hiking down the canyon or anything like that. We just want to see it, well at least part of it. Any suggestions? Lipstick.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Where is the south rim of the Grand Canyon? It is in northern Arizona like the rest of it. Have you looked at a map?
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Brookwood, Yes I have looked at a map. I did not come to Fodor's to get my questions answered with a question. If people like you are the type that are supposed to be helping others you are doing a crappy job. I will never come to Fodor's again. Lipstick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:02 PM

All your questions on the Canyon, including its location, can be answered at these URLs:

www.nps.gov/grca
www.kaibab.org
www.thecanyon.com
www.grand.canyon.national-park.com/

Specifically on what to do with limited time,

www.kaibab.org/gc/misc/gc_what.htm
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:17 PM

lipsticktraveler,

I hope you will give fodor's another chance. There are plenty of us that realize are looking for first hand experiences.

I've been to the North Rim twice and the South Rim many times. I prefer the S. Rim over the N. Rim, but you will get others that feel different than I do. We all have our favorites.

I have not been to the west rim yet, but I have seen pictures and I feel you only get a limited view of one canyon. At the South Rim you can see many different canyons. The west rim does not have any services from what I've read and heard.

If you do decide to go to the S. Rim then I would recommend spending the night because it's a 5 - 5 1/2 hour drive one way from Las Vegas to the S. Rim.

Once at the S. Rim you can check out many of the scenic overlooks. Ride the free shuttle buses to other overlooks and just walk along the rim.

If you think that the S. Rim is to far, then you might consider going to Zion National Park instead. At 167 miles it's only 2 1/2 to 3 hours drive (one way) from Las Vegas. The park is beautiful. You can ride the free shuttle into the canyon and get off at the different stops for fantastic views.

Utahtea
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM

And a helicopter ride is certainly a memorable experience. Might be best to find a travel agent in Vegas and book ahead though.

And I agree with utahtea - don't let the occasional jerk put you off Fodors - there aren't too many of them and they usually don't stick around long anyway.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Whew! I don't know whether people are just sensitive or if others are being really jerks. I read brookwoods reply and chuckled. I'm sure at some point I will submit something and get hit over the head, but I hope I will let is go and move on.

O.K. I would not drive to the south rim myself. There are plenty of tours on comfortable buses or you could even fly. The west rim is really nothing special and is on an indian reservation. I did it with three couples and had fun, but from a scenic view point the south rim is the better of the two.

I have friends who won't believe me when I tell them there is an East Rim!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:07 AM

lipstick,

Well I was tempted to say that the South Rim is on the South side of the canyon and the North rim is.....well....never mind.

I have only been to the North Rim and my family really liked it. On my next trip I will go into the Canyon, perhaps a river trip. The truth is that is a big hole in the ground, immense and like nothing I have seen before but still a big hole in the ground. It did motivate me to do some reading after I was there and learned history, etc. which is why I want to go into it in the future.

I am rather anti crowd. That's why we chose the North Rim.