Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon Day Hike - What to bring?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:45 AM
kim

Hi, I'm going to the Grand Canyon this Saturday for a day hike (We're going to stay the night in Flagstaff). I'm not an experienced hiker, so I would really like some advice on what I should bring! Any help would be appreciated!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:50 AM
doc

Get a camelback pack to carry your water. I did a LONG day hike last spring, and all I ate was Clif bars and power bars.it will be hard to keep things cold, but you may want to bring some fruit. Go very early in the AM so it is'nt too hot. there are water stops on the way to refill. Just curious, how far and what trail will you take?

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:00 AM
kim

I don't know what trail we're going on. My friend is handling all the planing since he lives in Phoenix and has been there before, but he's away on business and I can't get in touch with him and I need to know what to buy/pack (I live near NYC and leave for Phoenix on Wed).

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:08 AM
doc

Forgot to add, lots of sunscreen. I would get a good pair of light Merrill hiking shoes. bring 2 pair of socks on your hike. I'm assuming your hike is a long one. You will most likely be on the Bright angel trail,which is 9 miles to the bottom,but has frequent stops,like I said on the way down.put some extra salt on your eggs B/C that will help you retain water.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Krissy

I would definately take a back pack and have a water bottle to too in there. Bring some energy bars that won't melt, a camera (the views are breath taking), extra socks, comfortable shoes, bandaids for blisters and falls, and a walking stick if you like. It's a great hike.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:56 AM
hello

I had the pleasure of working in the GC for a summer and all I have to say is bring water, water, water, water... they haul people out every year who let themselves get dehydrated. Please dont let this happen to you!!!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:32 PM
x

and some moleskin for blisters...hopefully you have a good pair of hiking boots and some good shoes w/support.....some trail mix or some backpacking freezed dry food...or snacks....and WATER!..the camels are great....walking stick... it is longer up than down(time and energy wise)....a.m. hiking and evening up b4 dark or bring a flashlight...no water on the Kaibab only Bright Angel....hve fun!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:59 AM
kim

Thanks for all of the advice so far! What is the temperature difference going to be from the top to the bottom? What sort of clothes should I wear?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:39 AM
x

layers....it gets hotter as you descend...but if you can cover up less sunburn...