Search

Grand Canyon & Kids

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 10:15 AM
LCF

Grand Canyon & Kids

We have 3 kids, 4,8 & 12 and short on time. Is it really worth it to stay overnight in the Canyon? is there anything else to do for them? Our main concern is the kids will be bored and we would have wasted precious time.
Anyone with children who have experieced this please advise. THank you

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:34 AM
ALF

When you write, "stay overnight in the Canyon", do you mean inside the Canyon itself; or do you mean on the Canyon Rim, inside the National Park? I am assuming that you meant the latter, as neither the 4 or 8 year olds can walk to a campsite (or Phantom Ranch), and they are also too young to ride the burros down. It is fun to stay overnight on the Canyon Rim, as you get to watch the sunset and following sunrise, which are the best times to see the Canyon. There is a great train ride to the South Rim that the kids would enjoy. There are several naturalist activities geared to kids, in particular the Junior Ranger program, which is a series of activities that lead up to earning a certificate and a cute patch. I don't believe that anyone has ever spent a day or two at the Grand Canyon and considered it a waste of time. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a better way to spend precious time with your kids.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 12:29 PM
anne

My daughter and I went to Grand Canyon overnight last year (she was 6) and she said she loved it more than disneyworld.
stayed at bright angel and it was great.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 12:30 PM
The travelmon

Staying on the rim at one of the National Parks facilities is well worth it. My kids loved it! If your kids get bored while at the Grand Canyon, the first thing you do when you get home is sell your t.v. and video games.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:14 PM
Anne

We just returned from the canyon with kids ages 12 and 9. We stayed at the El Tovar, which is right on the rim. I would highly recommend staying within the park if you can get a room. It is wonderful to be able to get to the rim and trails easily. We did watch the sun rise and set from our hotel. Your
kids will not be bored. There is really nothing else to do, but there are great trails along the rim and several interesting places to stop along the trails. My kids also loved the gift shops in the rim hotels! Hope this helps. You will love the canyon.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:41 PM
susie

i went to arizona 2 years ago pregnant plus with 3 small kids. the canyon was great but not to spend too much time. how many different angles can you possibly look at one thing? we stayed one week in scotsdale and took day trips everywhere, north and south. it was awesome. then we flew to los angeles, rented a van and drove up the coast then out to yosemite, up to tahoe,and then to san fran. sounds like a dream hugh? it was the best vacation i have ever planned. you have to get a fodors guide for wherever you go. thats the best info. have fun!

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Dave

Take binoculars. It's amazing how much more detail you can see, and it's not unlikely that you'll be able to spot rafts on the river.

Old May 4th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Howard

You didn't say what the alternative is to staying overnight at the Grand Canyon. Regardless, I canot fathom anyone saying that staying overnight there would have "wasted precious time."
I like what travelmon said about selling the TV and video games!

Old May 4th, 2001, 01:56 PM
H. Ann

Please let me share with you my favorite Grand Canyon story. I was 21 years old and about to start graduate school. My father dragged our whole family to the Grand Canyon for one last family vacation. I had no interest in going whatsoever. When we got there, it took my breath away. I absolutely loved it. We stayed in one of the cabins near the rim and it was great. I recall lots of ranger-led activities. I don't recall being bored. Now I'm taking my kids this summer - ages 16, 14 & 12.
Sorry, I just had to pass that on...
H. Ann