grand canyon

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 10:55 AM
Martina Mc Knight

grand canyon

my family - 2 adults, 3 children 17,14,and 9 will be travelling to Grand Canyon around 19th to 23rd July. We are from Ireland. Is it necessary to book accomodation in advance . Does anyone have any suggestions re accomodation. Tks

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 11:53 AM
Cheryl

It is certainly necessary. The rooms get booked up. When I went I stayed in the Lodge on the North Rim.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 12:37 PM
P. Jernigan

The motels inside the park are probably booked. Right outside the park, there are usually several motels. At the South end, we stayed at a Best Western (nice). The North end, the nearest motel is about 44 miles away called Jacob Lake Inn. 1) phone520)643-7232 2) http://www.jacoblake.com 3)e-mail: [email protected]

It will be hot (90-100 degrees F), make sure that everyone brings water and a snack with them while they hike. At the South End, there is NO water at the scenic sites. At the beginning and end site there is water, but it usually takes you about 4 - 5 hours to take a trolly from one end to the other. You get off and sight see whenever you want at the stops. The end stop has a place where you can eat. Hope you enjoy your stay to the USA. If you go to the North end, try to go to Zion National Park. It is breath taking. Bryce Canyon is unique.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 01:12 PM
lisa

Oh my goodness -- do you mean July of THIS year? If so, I hate to break this to you, but you had better act immediately if you expect to find any place to stay. The Grand Canyon gets booked up WAY in advance -- as much as two years. Fodor's actually has a good informational site at http://www.fodors.com/parks/ -- click on Grand Canyon, then you can click on Lodging and whatever else you're interested in. The official National Park Service website for the Grand Canyon is http://www.nps.gov/grca/ -- there is information there on how to make reservations on-line. Good luck and I hope your family has a wonderful trip!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 02:41 PM
Al

Cancellations do happen. Try this. Phone the 800 number (free call) of the major motel chains of your choice. Ask if they have an opening in their motel in Tusayan, the town at the entrance to the South Rim of the GC. Try them with your best Blarney. Bet you get a room.
Otherwise, stay in Williams, Flagstaff, or (lucky you!) in Sedona. Williams is about 50 miles from the south entrance, Flagstaff is 80 miles, and Sedona is 110 miles...or about 2.5 to 3 hours drive.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:37 PM
karen

Dear Martina,

Please book reservations in advance. You'll have a hard time at this late date but if you keep trying you will find something. The El Tovar on the south rim is about the nicest, although it can be expensive. You may have a better chance at that though because the budget-moderate book first. The El Tovar offers a great bus tour, narrated by natives who have lived on the reservations there for years. The interesting legends & stories are all missed if you try to drive to each view of the canyon on your own, you just miss something... The tour is very inexpensive & very worth your time.The telephone number for grand canyon lodges is (520) 638-2631, the company that operates management/reservations is the Fred Harvey Co. They also provide reservations for the bus tour & donkey trip down into the canyon... Have a great trip, write if you need help. karen mulligan

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:48 PM
kam

Try to find something in Williams from which you can take a lovely train ride to the Grand Canyon. We did day trips from Sedona, but if you want to linger at the GC, it's really too far. It's an easy drive however, and Sedona is a wonderful place in itself. Good luck.