Grand Canyon

Feb 4th, 1998, 04:47 PM
John

Grand Canyon

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon. Any lodging, dining, or attractions suggestions? North or South rim? Thanks for any help.

Feb 4th, 1998, 08:02 PM
jj

John: We went to the North Rim two years ago, which is less congested than the South Rim. Our room at the Grand Canyon Lodge was cozy, but comfortable and the food there was good. Book early, because it fills up fast. I can't speak from experience on this, but if you go to the South Rim, take the train from Williams and avoid the crowds and parking hassles.

Feb 5th, 1998, 05:15 AM
Sara

John,

I was there a couple of years back - South Rim in May. It was beautiful. Seventies during the day, 50's @ nite (chilly). If you're thinking about the North Rim, remember it's not open for the winter. It is much higher altitude than the South Rim and therefore get's much more snow, cold temps. We stayed in the park - it was convenient and there is bus service that takes you throughout the park. If you stay outside the park, it is about a 15 minute drive to the nearest hotels. Just something to keep in mind. Also, parking is at a premium. I also heard that the Park Service was planning to ban cars from the park in the future.

As for things to do - hike the Bright Angel Trail, or take a mule ride to the bottom of the Canyon (reserve mule ride 6 months in advance). Don't forget the beautiful sunsets! Get to your chosen vantage point early, cuz they get crowded b-4 sunset. Overall, a beautiful place! If you have time, Sedona, AZ is even more beautiful, and it's about a 2 hour drive south of the Canyon. I highly recommend it!

Enjoy -

Sara

Feb 5th, 1998, 07:10 AM
Polly

I have been to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in each of the past 2 SUMMERS...when it is reputed to be SO crowded. I did not have a problem with crowds on either trip. Yes, there are quite a few people there, but there was ample parking and viewing space at the overlooks near the "auto restricted" area of the park and those that line the road out of the park to the east. Somewhat crowded at the Visitors Center. No parking space on first trip...parked at the front door on the second...depends on your luck. What is at a premium is reservations...you must plan way ahead and be prepared to pay top dollar. We did it both times as day trips, once from Flagstaff and the second time on our way to Monument Valley. While there, do not overlook the Imax Theatre which is in the commercial area just south of the park entrance.

Feb 6th, 1998, 10:16 PM
Alejandro Romero

John, how are you? I went to the Grand Canyon last year in June, and I can tell you that's the most amazing experience you will have!
I went to the South Rim,, and I enjoyed it a lot.
For lodging inside the park, sometimes it's complicated to book, but try to reserve at the Red Feather Lodge, that's 6 miles from the south entrance in the commercial area outside the park. I stayed there and it's great. Try to book at the new building of the hotel! Almost in front of the hotel, there's a very nice restaurant called Arizona Steak House or something like that, where the food is great and the people there are very nice.
Don't forget to take a helicopter ride over the Canyon! There are several companies close to the hotel. You should call first to reserve!
And of course, in the Canyon, take the Bright Angel Trail. I did it ! You may walk during the time you want but have in mind that it will take you twice of the time to climb up again!It's almost exhausting but it compares with nothing! Have a great time there! If you want more information, send me an e-mail.

Search this Thread