Reload this Page >

Graduation dinner in LA - suggestions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:14 PM
paula

My daughter is graduating from LMU in May. We are travelling to the West coast to attend and would like to take her out to celebrate. Can someone give me some restaurant suggestions in the LA/Santa Monica area? We'd like a nice place, but she is not comfortable in something too posh. I appreciate your help. Thanks so much from Massachusetts!!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:52 PM
ann

Try The Lobster (thelobster.com) in Santa Monica right at the base of the Santa Monica Pier. Great food, albeit a little pricey. Best sunset-watching in town. I wouldn't call it posh, but it very much fulfils the image of what people would expect of an LA restaurant.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:34 AM
paula

Pricey isn't a problem. Thanks for the suggestion. As we are not from the area, we are not familiar with any LA area restaurants other than what you see on the entertainment porion of the news!!! So, your help is appreciated!!

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Paula

No other suggestions out there?? Only one restaurant recommendation in the LA/Santa Monica area?? C'mon - have mercy on an East Coast Mom!!! Help me out here!! Maybe I will try posting the topic differently. Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:35 PM
xxx

I guess it depends on what time the ceremony is over. For a different type of place, you could consider the really nice restaurant up at the Getty Center. Beautiful views and wonderful food. I'm not sure how late it is open, since it is part of the museum facilities, but it might be perfect for a late afternoon dinner.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 09:37 AM
sdx

Hey

I highly recommend "Trastevere", its on the 3rd St. Promenade...nice place to watch people. I went there with my parents for my graduation!

If you like Asian, go to the YANGTZE
also on 3rd St...they have good curry, and good sushi.

But, in general all alond the 3rd St. Promenade, there are many restaurants, that I have eaten at, and liked. But the last 2 are my favorite, and have never disappointed me. You see, if you sit outside, the view is so good!

You can park in the many structures just next to 3rd St

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 02:02 PM
carly

Here are three beauties, all with patios. Expect to pay $30 - 60 per person, but it's worth it! These are world reknowned and you'll probably see stars, but the service is wonderful and they aren't prentious (A rarity in LA!) You check them out on the web, too, just use google to search.

Il Cielo (italian)
Ivy at the Shore or Ivy on Robertson
Michael's

Good luck & congratulations to your daughter!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:07 PM
paula

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. We just came back from 4 days in LA (senior concert and awards banquets) and left her with the list of suggestions and information we pulled off websites as a result. We are leaving the choice up to her - I can't see how she can go wrong!!! Thanks again. By the way, the ceremony itself is in the morning so we are planning on late afternoon or early evening dinner.