Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

East Coast Mom needs restaurant recommendations for a special event - my daughter's graduation in the Santa Monica/LA area...can someone help me out???

Search

East Coast Mom needs restaurant recommendations for a special event - my daughter's graduation in the Santa Monica/LA area...can someone help me out???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:45 PM
paula

I am lloking for input for a restaurant where we can celebrate my daughter's graduation in the LA/Santa Monica area. Being from the East Coast, I have no idea what is out there....nice atmosphere, good food, price not a huge issue, but..... can someone help?

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Cathie

My daughter has a guy friend who lives in LA so I will email her and see if she can get any info from him...

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 01:24 PM
RB

It's been a few years, but we enjoyed Rockenwagner in Santa Monica. It's Nouvelle French with Austrian influence, with wonderful desserts. 2435 Main Street, Santa Monica, phone 310-399-6504. Very nice, and worth the $$$.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Thyra

Hello,
Go the Rants and Raves section of Fodor's for some nice reviews of various restaurants in LA. There's always Ivy on the Shore which is $$$$$ but pretty nice.
www.lainsider.com also has some great top 10 listings of restaurants.
I like to go to Harry's bar in Century City.. (there's one in Venice, Paris and NY as well) Campanille on La Brea (Mid Wilshire) Micheli's in Hollywoo..(hmm. all of the above are Italian, it must be lunch time).
Asia De Cuba on the Sunset strip is also $$$$$ but terrific food and celebrities as well given it's close proximity to the Sky Bar.
Beverly Hills restaurant row down La Cienega has some nice places.. Lawrey's (sp?) for prime rib, Ed debevics for 50's theme...Spagos is closing or has closed.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:33 PM
xxx

Gladstone's might be a nice beach atmosphere if your family enjoys seafood. Not overly fancy, but great views and good food.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 09:41 AM
sdx

Go to 3rd St Promenade, park in the many structurs just a block away. Walk down the street, make your selection from the numerous nice restaurants.

I recommend: 1. TRastevere, Italian
2. The Yangtze, Asian

Look no further, Ive been to these 2 many times, just sit ouside. They are not too exp also.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 01:21 PM
J Cameron

Paula, we were just in LA/Santa Monica area and found three good places at Malibu, very near their pier ... about 10 minutes west of S. Monica. Two are Italian ... Allegria on Pacific Coast Hwy. (at about 28000), and Tra Di Noi, on Cross Creek Rd. just 100 yds. off PCH. The other is Granita, in a shopping center near the Mailbu Pier, on PCH .. a Wolfgang Puck place. The entire Mailubu area is terrific ... if these places are not suitable for the special meal, perhaps you'll want to try them at another time. Enjoy Malibu!!!! And if you have time, visit the Getty Center (you must make a reservation Monday-Friday). It is spectacular. JC

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:33 PM
CJ

The Cheesecake Factory in Marina Del Rey. Dining right on the water.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:49 PM
fdsf

The Charthouse in MAlibu is pretty nice but more expensive. GREAT food.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:14 PM
paula

I can't thank you enough for your help. We just returned from LA (awards banquets/senior concert) and left our daughter with the list you people provided. Along with the list, we left her the information we were able to pull off the websites on the restaurants recommended. We are going to let her choose the place to go - I can't see how she can go wrong!! Thanks again!