Search

gov't hotel rates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gov't hotel rates

I remember once finding a travel search engine that listed all hotel rates including gov't rates but now I can't locate it. Any help?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Almost all hotels offer government rates - they just don;t publicize them. The only problem is that you need current government picture ID to qualify for them.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I had a co-worker that booked hotels at the government rate after she reasoned that the customers she was calling on were "government" employees. She always got great rates in South Florida ($40, etc.) She was never asked for ID of any kind. I just couldn't do it and felt nervous and guilty when the one time I checked into a Radisson she had made res's for me.

Virtually every hotel online booking service offers the government rate on their pull-down menu for rates.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

I do have gov't photo ID thanks to husbands job and I know I have seen gov't rates on the popular searches in the past but can not find them on the pull downs today. (checked 7 sites) I was wondering if they are no longer showing them in which case you have to call the hotel directly.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Starsville -

I'm really surprised at that. Gov't rates are so low that hotels are usually very strict about checking if you really qualify. It's not like "corporate" rates that are often higher than other types of discounts. Perhaps she was using hotels that weren't near full - and were happy to have someone take the room at any price.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:25 AM

I always thought government rates were only for government travel. My dh and I are both long time local government employees with photo ids...would we qualify for the government rate for a vacation?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:27 AM

My dh is retired military, so we often ask for the rate. One place a few years ago did not have one, but made up a rate for us on the spot for it. I would estimate that we have had to show our ID's about 99% of the time.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM
OO

They do check IDs...photo ID required, at least at the hotels my husband has worked at. (This topic has come up before and I'd asked about it). You must also be on gov't business, though I'm not sure how they could establish that. There are both federal and state gov't rates. On Hyatt.com sites, the rate is shown in a pull down menu of various rates.

Just did a simulated gov't res at his current hotel. The Hyatt.com rate is $249 and both Federal and state gov't rates are $93. Significant difference!

The rate description given on their website for a federal gov't rate says,
"Available For US Govt Employees Only With Active US Govt I.D. At Check-in. 1 room Per Govt Employee."
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>You must also be on gov't business, though I'm not sure how they could establish that.<

When travelling on business Fed gov't employees have paper copies of travel orders. I assume state employees have something similar.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM

I'm a federal employee and I have never asked for the gov't discount when traveling for vacation. My co-worker, however, says she asks for it all the time but always tells the hotel she is NOT traveling on gov't business. She says she has always gotten the discount anyway.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no requirement that you be traveling on govt business when using a govt rate - at least at the hotels in which I have used it. I have used it numerous times - some apply specifically for federal govt employees, some don't distinguish between levels of govt. Some hotels do not offer it and even if they do, it is not always available. You should check the rate rules on the particular hotel website or ask if calling the hotel. Also, in all the times that I have used this rate, I have been asked for identification (which I have) only once.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM
LN

I've travelled many times on government orders and hotels often ask for ID AND travel orders. There is one other major difference and that is the "per diem" amount that is allowed for the city you are travelling to.

OO I'd love to stay at the Tampa Hyatt but the Tampa per diem allowance may not allow $93 plus meals and transportation. Sometimes $95 or $100 dollars a day is the limit that you'll receive and you must find a place reasonable enough for all daily costs or dip into your own pocket to pay for your needs.

Unlike corporate - government doesn't allow you "carte blanche". So when you want to stay at a Hyatt, Hilton, or Ritz the travelling employee has to pay the difference.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:25 AM

I figured it was too good to be true! Oh well!
Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be interested in what the websites of the hotels that ask for travel orders indicate under the rate rules. Typically, I've seen rules that you must be a government employee with valid ID. I haven't seen any that have added "and you must be on official govt business." I don't see how they can require that on check-in if it's not in the posted rules. If you are asking for some type of tax exempt status, that is different and hotels do typically ask to see some documentation that you are on official business and ask for the tax exempt form (at least in New York).

LN - I'd be interested to know what hotels have required your travel orders - I've used Wyndham and Hyatt in the past and have never been asked.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I have seen websites that require the travel to be on gov't business in order to obtain the gov't rate, but I can't remember where. It might have been an airline rather than a hotel.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM

I too have been asked to show my travel orders (for both hotels and rental cars). Maybe there are loopholes in hotel policy that would allow you to get govn't rates, but as it is against govn't policy, no way would I jeapordize my job to save a few bucks. And a few bucks it usually is-usually the rate is similar to the senior rate-I've even gotten rooms cheaper than the govn't rate by using AAA-UNLESS you somehow manage to snag the one or two rooms at a 4 star hotel that are reserved for government rates.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM

As a state government employee, I try to get the government rate wherever it is offered whether I am traveling on government business or for pleasure. No hotel has ever asked me to prove I am traveling on government busiess, but they do generally require you to show a government ID when you check in. The big difference at some hotels is that they will waive the taxes if you file a statement that you are traveling on government business. I never do that if I am traveling for pleasure. If you dig far enough you can generally find a hotel's government rate on its web site. If you can't, you can always call the hotel.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM

This morning man drive into Buckingham Palace with 'bomb' writing on box...any questions about ID checking??? I didn't think so...LOL
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM
LN

I've stayed at hotels from Los angeles, San Diego, San francisco, Denver, New York City, Boston, and have gotten rates from each of them for Federal Govern,ment travel - it does NOT include taxes - it is strictly a government rate and for most smaller hotels/motels it is a mere $5 or $10 dollar difference. Some offer greater savings and we've used them.

Any hotel in a town that has a large government travelling population DOES request travel orders and ID.

Think about it, why would a fed employee risk their position to a couple bucks on a "leisure" trip? They don't!!

As to the various hotel/motels that we've used - how about "Comfort Inns", Holiday Inns, Hilton Garden Inns, Sheraton hotels, these are examples of hotels that HAVE asked for ID and travel orders. I really have no reason to lie - - my job pays me well enough to stay "happy as a bee".

If I want a discounted offer - then I generally ask if the hotel offers a "government leisure". Some do.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:13 PM
LN

And Tom

What are you going to do if they ask you for your government ID and travel orders at one of these hotels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -