Got Steak?

Jan 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Got Steak?

Ok....

So Boston seems to be known for a few things. The Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Cheers, its marathon and of course, clam chowder.

While I am a huge fan of seafood, I must somehow surpress that desire in lieu of the carnivore in me and 7 of my friends as we head to Bean Town in 4 weeks.

That said, I would simply like to know what might be the best steakhouse in town? I know about the usual chain suspects (Morton's, Ruth Chris, Flemings, S&W , Capital Grille and the like) but I figure that there has to be a few local spots that can compare favorably to what I feel are some of the best places on the planet (Bern's, Chophouse, Gibson's, etc).

Thanks
Jan 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM

This one is my favorite, Grill 23 right in the Back Bay:

http://www.grill23.com/menuPage3/
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM

another vote for grille 23
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Abe & Louis
Jan 16th, 2008, 07:09 AM

My favorite is the Oak Room at the Copley Plaza
However, it is "old style dining" in the sense that you are in great tables, plenty of room between them, comfortable large upholstered chairs, refined waiters, and it is quiet so you can hear yourself talk and no one is running by you with plates or serving others, it seems your food magically and calmly appears. LIke eating in your dining room with good friends.

And it has rec'd many votes for the best steak in Boston.
Excellent chateaubriand among wonderful other items.

Grill 23 is too noisy for us. My husband has a hoarse voice the next day, especially if we are with more than 4 and Abe & Louie's , while I always enjoy my steak, is also a noisy and 'happening' scene versus a quiet night at the Oak Room, so it depends on what you are looking for.
Jan 16th, 2008, 07:14 AM

I second Grill 23 and Abe & Louie's. There's also a couple of new ones, very high end, KO Prime (in Nine Zero) and Mooo (in XV Beacon).

The Improper Bostonian did a feature on all of these a couple of months ago, you might be able to order a copy.
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Mooo : for me, while the food was top notch, I had a problem with all the lovely cows looking at me. Didn't bother the men with us, but bothered the women.

My husband calls it the Bambi syndrome.
Probably true: little girls, Disney, killing the animal - I know, I know, I KNOW what I'm eating....but still.... I think they should change the decor.
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Another vote for Abe and Louis - I can't say I've been to many in Boston, but I just plain love this restaurant.
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM
TahitiTams

Locke-Ober..the best!

lockeober.com

Jan 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM
kealalani

Have not seen it but seaport has a new Mortons that may be great. I love the ambience of Copley Oak Grill. I have hated brunch at Abe and Louis but hear great things about it and it has cosmopolitan vibe. Some like Ruth Chris in it's historic building , others hate it. Never been a big fan of 23. Do not like Flemngs in boston.

Bottom line, I'd take a chance at Ken Oringers new place or decide Oak Grille for old school or the new Mortons,

Good luck, hard choices.no eassy answers.