Search

Good Restaurants in Corvallis, OR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:30 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Restaurants in Corvallis, OR

We will be in Corvallis for 3 days in July for a soccer tournament. Wondering if there are any good restaurants for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Kal, I'll do it for you:

tick, tick, tick, tick

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Woodstocks for pizza, hands down! Great wheat crust.

A fellow poster lives in Corvallis, so hopefully she will see this and have more recommendations for you. I lived there eons ago so am not up on the latest (except Woodstocks, which is a Crovallis institution, lol!).
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Yes, I really can spell...my fingers just got too excited about that pizza

Faina--LOL!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Is Burton's Restaurant still there? I worked there during college, mainly so I could get the lemon angel pie and the cinnamon twists for free. I've never had as good pastries since..
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Hi jgg,

I live in Corvallis and there are many good restaurants to consider. However, it would help if you let me know what ages your party consists of. I suspect if you're here for a soccer tournament you'll have kids in the group?

Here are some recommendations and I'll describe whether I think they're adult only or kid-friendly
* Big River (Eclectic food - something for everybody - only open for dinner on the weekends, but open for lunch and dinner during the week - located downtown on 1st street)
* Le Bistro (French food - only open for dinner - probably more suited to adults - located downtown...think on Madison)
* Magenta (French Vietnamese - kids probably wouldn't like this place as the menu isn't really kid friendly, but if it's just adults this place is great for dinner - excellent cocktails available - located in Cobbleston Square at 14th and Monroe)
* Iovino's (Italian - kids could probably find something here - they have from simple pastas to in-depth Italian plates - located downtown on 1st street)
* New Morning Bakery (This place is great to get breakfast, lunch, or dinner and you can pretty much see all the food available in the cases as you walk-in - I usually see lots of kids here so presume they can find plenty to fill their bellies - located downtown on 2nd street)
* Woodstock's Pizza (I'll second mms' recommendation for this place - it's located on Kings Blvd.)
* American Dream Pizza (2 locations - one across from campus on Monroe and one downtown on 2nd street)
* Jamie's (this is a 50's diner and has great burgers and shakes - great place for kids. I think they also are open for breakfast. They're located in the Albertson's shopping complex - corner of Kings and Circle blvd.)
* The Chippery (this is a great little place for a simple lunch especially if you have kids. They make their own potato chips in all different kinds of flavors that you can try. They have all sorts of sandwiches (cold and hot)) - located on 1st street downtown).

If you're just looking for simple sit-down chain type food we have Shari's, Elmer's, McGrath's, Ruby Tuesdays as well as most fast food places (Taco Bell, Taco Time, McDonald's, BK, KFC, Jack in the Box, Arby's, Baja Fresh, Wendy's, Dairy Queen).

There are quite a few ethnic restaurants we enjoy as well
Mexican: Ixtapa (Harrison), Mexico Lindo (Hiway 20/34 in Safeway shopping complex), El Sol De Mexico (9th Street)
Japanese: Aomatsu (very good!!! Located on 3rd Street downtown)) Indian: Evergreen (great lunch buffett even on the weekends - located on 3rd Street downtown)
Chinese: Fung Maple Garden (on Monroe across from campus) or King Tin (on 9th Street)
Thai: Cha Da (on 9th Street)
Hawaiian: Local Boyz (in Cobblestone Square at 14th and Monroe)
Vietnamese: Kimhoas (Albertson's shopping complex - corner of Kings and Circle Blvd. - only open during the week for lunch and dinner - closed on the weekends).

Places I would recommend staying away from: Daryl's, Tommy's 4th Street Bar and Grill, Burton's (sorry lcuy - it's gone down hill over the past few years - pretty dirty and sloooooow service), and Jade Garden (Chinese).

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but hopefully the above information is helpful. If you're looking for a specific type of food please post and I'll let you know if we have anything to fill the need. Have fun!

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Hi again,

I forgot to mention The Riverview Mongolian Grill (located on 1st street right next to Big River Restaurant). This is a fun place if you have kids and if they like stir fry as each person can put their own stuff in their bowl and watch it get cooked on the big round grill - open for lunch and dinner.

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My family lives there and likes Michael's Landing for special occasions. One of the two Ixtapa locations for Mexican food. And there's some new Chinese Buffet that they rave about (everyone's out of town this weekend so I can't get the specific name for you today, sorry).
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Too bad about Burton's. Mr. Burton (the dad) ran that place with an iron hand. I guess he must be long gone, and his standards with him.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Suze,

The china buffet is really good - we've been there many times since it opened - thanks for the reminder! The name of it is "New China Buffett" (original, huh ).

We also use to go to Michael's Landing a lot when it was the only nicer restaurant in town (other than the Gables), but over the past 7 years there have been so many new restaurants open up that give Michael's Landing a run for it's money - although we still frequent Michael's for Easter, Mother's Day, and Father's Day brunch - hmmmm, good! Michael's does have the best view in town right on the river!

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM

We ate at Michael's Landing and the Gables for all the special events too, lol!

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Tracey,

Thank you for your list, that is exactly what I was looking for. Our kids are 9 and 13, but I suppose you could say they have very sophisticated and adventuresome palates, so we don't usually worry whether menus are kid friendly.

We will probably have one time of eating with the whole team, but I expect so many people can not eat out all their meals together!! Would Woodstocks be able to handle a really large group or maybe Ruby Tuesday? (There are 16 kids on the team, with parents, etc.)

Thanks again for your help, I have printed out the list to bring along.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Kal

I thought the favorite meal time snack in Corvallis was gnawing on wood?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Actually Kal most of them prefer Duck...=)
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM

LOL Kal! Actually, Duck is the preferred snack

jgg--Woodstocks would definitely be a good spot for a group. The main dining area would fit the group, but they also have a back room specifically for groups.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:22 AM

I agree with mms, Woodstocks would be great for a large party of people.

I would not recommend Ruby Tuesdays for a large group because they won't take reservations and although their food is pretty good for a chain restaurant, they don't have the best service. I've been there quite a few times with a group during lunch and dinner and one person always has to go early to put our name down and wait, wait, wait - so, nah, don't consider Ruby Tuesday for the big group get-together.

Hmmmm, duck!!!

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM

Also try Local Boyz if you like good, Hawaiian barbecue. By Oregon State University downtown (near the main entrance)..... not too expensive and fantastic! Pick up some of 'da sauce' to take home with you! I don't live in Corvallis anymore but whenever we visit family, we ALWAYS have to make at least one stop at Local Boyz!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
New China Buffet it is!! (thanks Tracey, I thought it was something like that, but that seemed to easy!)

I think that would work for a big group, wouldn't it? Since it is a buffet. My family likes it because they say the food is always really "fresh" and there's loads of choices.

I believe it's $10.95pp and includes all kinds of the ususal Chinese items, but my Dad likes it because there's also lots or shrimp, roast beef and other non-asian dishes offered.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM

Hi Suze,

I always laugh about the name of "New China Buffett" - they gonna change the name after a year???

Yes, it will definitely accomodate large groups of people. They even have a back room that I never see anybody in - perhaps it can be reserved.

Every time we've been there everything has been fresh. They have a great fruit bar and even have a sushi bar with somebody there making the sushi fresh, granted they don't have the wide variety of all types of sushi, but they do a good job. Yes, they do have lots of shrimp...not sure if I have seen roast beef, but then again I probably missed it - I always miss something. One area they kind of lack in is desserts - very random stuff like carrot cake and chocolate cake (weird for a Chinese themed place) and soft-serve ice-cream - although they do have malasadas so that can always be dessert.

Enjoy!
Tracey
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM

I would like to suggest Everygreen Indian Restaurant. We had dinner there last night and it was excellent. The food was delicious, the service was wonderful and the restaurant seems very exotic with its well decorated interior and inscence. Be sure to try the fennel seed and coconut exit snack. My eight year old had a wonderful time. They also have a lunch buffet. It is located on third street in quaint, down town, Corvallis. There are lots of nice shops and a nice place for a walk along the river. Also a fountain on the river walk, for the children, if the weather is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -