Reload this Page >

Good Eats in Asheville and Atlanta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Chuck

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I have a list but looking for more confirmation by others. Thanks

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Julia

Not sure what type of food you're looking for, but in Asheville I'd recommend La Caterina, a wonderful Italian trattoria near Pack Square. In Atlanta, you need to be more specific as to what cuisine and what area you're interested in. There's just too much there to recommend without more information.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Chuck

Thanks Julia - La Caterina is a new one on my list in Asheville. The ones I have are The Marketplace, Blue Moon Bakery and cafe, Flying Frog, Salsa's, and the Uptown Cafe. Considering Marketplace for one dinner, Flying Frog for second night. What say you? Is your place a better bet?

In Atlanta, the tentative line-up includes Atlanta Fish Market (Dinner), Sotto Sotto (Dinner), Flying Biscuit (Lunch), Bones (Dinner), The Varsity (Lunch), Buckhead Diner (Lunch) and Tamarind Thai and Midtown Kitchen as alternate dinner spots. Heard Horseradish Grill was good, too but we'll be all Southern fooded out by time we get to Atlanta.

Thanks again for any opinions, etc.
We're staying in Buckhead and have a car but not wanting to travel all over the place. Midtown, Downtown ok. Have 3 dinners and 3 lunches available.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Parrot Mom

Forget the Varsity..nothing but fried food...On this trip we were taken to some of the best barbecue...The Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell....on Green Street.. A little hard to find ( no sign)..but yummy ribs, bisquits,coleslaw...jezz I can't say anything bad about the food...it was to die for...no atmosphere, but I think there was jazz or a blues band at night..

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Julia

La Caterina is the only one of the restaurants you've listed that I'm personally familiar with in Asheville. The Marketplace has been around forever, so the fact that it's still in business must mean something.

In Atlanta, Tamarind is definitely the best Thai food. Bad location, but well worth a visit. Fish Market is decent. I have been to Sotto Sotto twice and am not impressed. It's OK, but there are far better places. I definitely prefer La Tavola in Virginia Highlands. Buckhead Diner is cute and the food is good. As Parrot Mom says, definitely stay away from the Varsity. Haven't eaten at Horseradish Grill, but have heard good things about it.

More personal favorites: Eno (great restaurant and wine bar in Midtown); Baraonda (best pizzas in the city); Aria in Buckhead; and Vinocity (another Midtown restaurant and wine bar). All fun places with excellent food. Hope this helps!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:15 AM
xxx

Try Nava in Buckhead for some really good upscale Mexican.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Shawn

Lots of great choices in Atlanta.
Would second the votes for Nava and Aria. Fish Market is certainly good but for better seafood (and atmosphere) I would go for Bluepointe or Kyma. If you like sushi, best on the East Coast is Soto (don't be put off by the strip mall location - it's incredible). Consider Fago de Chao for a different eating experience (lots of food and presentation). For upscale, Bacchanalia and Joel are worth it (get reservations).
Cool lunch locations - Eatzi's or Taqueria del Sol.
Enjoy.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 12:58 PM
kameha

Great food at Buckhead Diner. We spent 5 nights in Atlanta (way too long - one of the most boring cities I've been to IMHO). Dinner at the Buckhead was great.
We had breakfast at the Flying Biscuit and only found it to be fair.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Julia

Kameha, that is too funny. You are right: Atlanta is a great place to live but a boring place to visit! I agree about the Flying Biscuit. Murphy's is one of the best places for breakfast.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:35 AM
RB

Another vote for Kyma and Fogo de Chao in ATL for dinner spots, as well as Taqueria del Sol for lunch. For lunch, if you don't want to drive, ride MARTA train over to Decatur and check out the shops & restaurants around its square. The selection of beers and ales at the Brick Store Pub are great, and it also serves good pub fare. I also hear good things about the breakfast at Crescent Moon on Ponce de Leon; believe it is served all day.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Austin

My favorite place in Asheville is McGuffey's. Casual kind of place, good food -- a lot like Applebee's or a place like that except the food is much better. There are two in Asheville, but the one I go to is off Tunnel Rd, up a steep hill -- I think the road that runs up the hill is Kenilworth Knoll.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:26 AM
fel

Red Rocker Inn (B&B) has awesome dinners and breakfasts - desserts are huge and to die for! It is in Asheville

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Linda

Some of the best food in Atlanta is to be found at the OK Cafe. Southern food at it's best. Great breakfasts too.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Lisa

I'd like to suggest a little-known restaurant in the Asheville area. It's called the Greenery on Tunnell Road. It doesn't look like much on the outside, or on the inside, but the food is truly special.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Me

In Atlanta you have to have Thai food somewhere, great selection of rests and hardly any bad choices...
my fav- Tamarind on 14th street
also love
Bacchanalia-best in ATL
Nava- for lunch
Ru Sans-sushi
Dish- the highlands
South City Kitchen
Blue Point- atmosphere, but not great food, also pricey
Fellini's- outdoor pizza with heaters in winter
Cafe Intermezzo-on P'tre..any kind of dessert or beverage you can think of

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:45 PM
TH

Great places in Atlanta are: Agnes & Muriels (great southern cooking), South City Kitchen (near the Four Seasons), Baronda (inexpensive Italian near the Fox Theatre), The Varsity (greasy hot dogs and fries but ya gotta go) and Jake's icecream.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Julia

Ru Sans is not the place for sushi in Atlanta. Soto is. Tamarind is the best Thai.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:21 PM
terry

yes on tamarind - don't be turned off by the location - and if you're going to tamarind, go to the high museum and enjoy the incredible paris exhibit.

i have had great dinners at bones so i'd give that a thumbs up.

nava is great also - i particualry like it for lunch.

don't waste your time/money at buckhead diner - it doesn't live up to its pr -

but i agree about murphy's - take a day and wander around virginia highlands and have b'fast at murphys. i also thought canoe had a wonderful brunch.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 05:54 AM
RB

My experience with Agnes & Muriel's was not good; we were handed dirty menus (which gave pause, since they were single sheets run from a copier) & service seemed lackluster. We changed our minds and cancelled our orders. I was disappointed, because I'd heard so much about the place. Others have had better success at A&M, but if you're looking for Southern fare, drive up to Roswell and eat at Greenwood's. The BBQ at Swallow at the Hollow across from Greenwood's also is good.