good diners? Mom & Pop style

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas on good old fashioned diners? I'm an old school vacationer,and hate chains, especially "fast food." I found a great site for lodging that caters to folks who appreciate the old mom and pop lodging experience, nonchainmotels.com and am looking for more diners while planning my cross country trip. It will be a northern route, to avoid the heat of summer. Any ideas?
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM

I LOVE Byways Cafe in Portland, OR:

Byways Cafe
1212 NW Glisan St
Portland, OR 97209-3015
(503)221-0011

The Scene
Kitschy and fun, Byways feels like a blast from the past with its vinyl banquettes, 3-D viewfinders, friendly servers and soda fountain. The crowd is mixed: 20-somethings nursing weekend hangovers, young families and Pearlites converge for hearty, satisfying breakfasts and lunches.

The Food
Byways transcends diner fare by improving on the classics. At breakfast, try the Mt. Rushmore Hash, a mix-mash of potatoes, spicy corned beef, melted cheese and hot peppers. Amaretto-infused French toast is pure indulgence; creamy, aromatic brioche topped with honey butter is well worth the 15-minute wait. For lunch, attempt the juicy, 1/3-pound hamburger with tasty homemade potato salad, or the Crater Lake Cobb salad, which is done with spinach instead of lettuce and doused in crumbly blue cheese. Don't miss the sweet treats: Chewy brownies, piping-hot scones and cookies have a loyal following.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Yum, that sounds wonderful. I will definately plan on adding this to my "retro" trip scenario, as I am traveling from Upstate NY to the west coast this summer. Any other suggestions as good as this one? I'm hungry already!TTT
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Check out roadfood.com. You do have to join to get the bulk of the reviews. But it is free to join and they allow users to upload pictures of the food they ordered. It's loaded with pictures and places to stop and have Mom & Pop style food.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM

As long as you're in Portland, afteer breakfast and/or lunch at Byways Cafe, have dinner at Piazza Italia, just a few blocks away. Not really a diner, but home-style italian, with a staff who I believe are mostly related to one another. Papa might greet you in italian at the door, and later serenade you. Italian soccer playing on the overhead TV adds to the ambience. Just thinking about it reminds me I need to get back there soon.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM

I hear you, Boomer. I would rather not eat at all than at a chain!

Don't know enough about northern routes to help you with diners, but if you find yourself in Lander, Wyoming, check out the Holiday Lodge motel. (Jct. Hwy's 287 and 789 1-800-624-1974)

I hope you will do a trip report!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Delta Diner in the North woods of Wisconsin. Not easy to find, but a treasure when you do!

Delta Diner
November - April Hours:
Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday - 8am - 7pm

May-October Hours:
Open Wednesday - Sunday - 8am - 7pm

Delta Diner
14385 County Highway H
Delta, WI 54856
715-372-MMMM
Email: [email protected]
Taste Budz Coffee House & Deli

Winter Hours:
Open Friday-Monday - 8am - 4pm

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Kal

How far north???

The Lincoln Diner in Gettysburg PA was a hoot and a great meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Sounds to me like you need to swing through Northern Illinois on the "Mother Road" Today, Illinois 66 is a continuum of one-of-a-kind connections to the old road…neon signs, filling stations, mom and pop diners ...

http://www.illinoisroute66.org/rt66_essence.php

The Road - Essence of the Byway

Route 66 is the “Mother Road” & Illinois is where is all begins. From the majestic skyline of Chicago to the Mighty Mississippi, you’ll experience the romance of the road and discover the legendary people and places that have given millions of travelers their “kicks on Route 66.”

Unlike traditional highways that ran north-south or east-west, Route 66 followed the trail blazed by American history itself. A look at 66 on the map is a glimpse at the direction of transportation and commerce of the country from the 1830’s to the present. From the beginning, this is a story that “begins” with Chicago as the gateway to an “end” in the great American west…a compelling story of modern American freedom and mobility.

In 1926, America was on the move and Route 66 became the way to “motor west.” The road gave birth to service stations, motels, diners and of course, often kitschy roadside attractions to entertain travelers on their journey. Today, Illinois 66 is a continuum of one-of-a-kind connections to the old road…neon signs, filling stations, mom and pop diners and unique roadside attractions, all set against the backdrop of America’s agricultural heartland.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Our favorite is the Miss Portland Diner in Portland, Maine. It is a classic.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM

I'm not sure if it is a mom and pop place but it was cool and kitschy and that is the Friendly Toast in Portsmouth, NH. Lots of retro artifacts and where else can you have a mimosa and a grilled cheese sandwich?
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Reb's Cafe and Coffee Shop in Benzon, AZ. Right off the I-10 less than a mile. I'll try to think of some others.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM

One of the most unique and CHEAPEST is Franny's in Yates Center Kansas. Open for Lunch. Meals are served with salad and coffee, cost $1.00. Pie (homemade) is $1.00 extra. Menu is set different item each day. Check it out