Search

Good Boston tour?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Boston tour?

My husband and I are planning to visit Boston for our 2nd anniversary. We want to take a city tour to acquaint ourselves with the city. Any suggestions for a good tour?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Take the Duck Tour (if it's in season). Lots of fun!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:33 PM
kgn

Another vote for duck tours. The tour is great but they sell out quickly. You can book on line up to five days in advance and I would strongly suggest it!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Let me toss in another vote for the Duck Tour..As a Bostonian I was skeptical about this..but wanted to show friends from Florida something touristy...it was a blast...Reservations can be made on line.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Duck Tour definitely! Even we Bostonians love it.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:20 AM

If all you want is an orientation to the city, and will go back & visit specific areas on your own (the "T" is GREAT for getting around) -- you CAN negotiate price near the Aquarium. They allowed us on for the "children's price" but no on-and-off privileges when we balked at the price vs. buying an all-day T-pass. I've been on a couple of the tour company's buses (not Duck, tho) and they all are pretty good .. as usual, it varies from guide to guide as well ... if you have on-&-off, then change if you don't like your guide.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I live in boston and love doing the sunset harbor cruises. they leave around 6:30 or 7 and give you a historical narration. A cheap thrill is going by the airport and having planes landing over you. Guests have loved the trolley tours where you get on and off. I think it's called beantown trolleys but your hotel can tell you. they narrate as well. My friends and I found the duck tours boring. They drive around congested streets mostly, some of the narration is incorrect and then you only get about 15 minutes on the river. I would recommend the others over them. I thnk they are overpriced as well.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
The Duck Tour is fun but Old Town Trolley tours gets you around more and youhave on-off privileges. Depends what you are looking for.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
mrt

I was in Boston last week and took the Duck Tour with my family. It lasts about 2 hours when traffic is bad. From what I can tell there may be better actual tours but the driver and the short water detour are fun. I went on a Friday at 11:30 and the tour was not sold out. If you are flexible take a chance and save the internet charges.

If you have the time you can see more walking if you have specific sites you want to see, such as Paul Revers's house and the USS Constitutuion. We walked everywhere 5-6 miles) after the tour and saw plenty.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:32 PM

Went on a Harbor Hopper in Halfax, N.S. and it just can't compare to our Duck Tour...even though the guide said he had worked at the Duck Tours....
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:56 PM

My Beantown Trolley experience in June was just "ok" - the convenience of getting off and on provides a good way to set your own pace, but we got behind schedule and skipped some points I thought I would get to see - I didn't care for that. I loved my time in Boston, brief as it was, and when I get back, will do a duck tour for sure. As an aside, the commercial district and surrounding area is very "walkable", from Charlestown easily to Public Garden, and I'd recommend lots of walking.