Golden Gate Bridge Photo Spot

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has always wanted to have a picture of herself with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. I recall reading about a popular spot for these kinds of photos, I believe on the San Francisco side of the bridge, although I could be mistaken which side it is on. Anyone know where this place is, and how to get there? We will have a car so driving there before crossing over will not be a problem. Thanks for your help.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM

Go to Fort Point. It is an old military building at the base of the SF side of the bridge. You can take a great photo there with the entire bridge in the background.

Right before you get on the bridge (northbound) exit to the right and there is parking there. You can walk down a few hundred yards to the base.

You can also go to Chrissy Fields which is sealevel (maybe better for more field of view) and is just a bit down the road from Ft Point.

There is also a northside lookout spot to your right just as you cross the bridge for a great view of SF.

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM

There are several spots both north and south of the GG Bridge.

Frank_and_beans has given you two on the San Francisco side.

Another location is from the Presidio. If you follow the drive along the north shore you will have several opportunities to take photos. The GG Bridge is a bit far in the distance from the Presidio, but the view is quite good.

IMHO the best shots are on the north side of the bridge.

As you go north on the GG Bridge, the first exit is for the Vista Point. You can get a very good, very closeup shot from this Vista Point. You're probably thinking of this spot.

After you exit the Vista you can only continue northbound. The next exit is the Alexander Road exit. Take this road and follow it as it points BACK to San Francisco. So you will go UNDER the freeway and emerge on the other side of the freeway. Just before you get back on the GG Bridge, the road will split. Take the right hand branch going to the Marin Headlands. As you get to the top of the hill, park alongside the road. You will likely see other cars there.

Get out of the car and follow the foot traffic to the old gun mountings. At the top you will have a fantastic view back to the Bridge and to San Francisco. This is, by far, my favorite view of the GG Bridge.

Have a fine trip!
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM

I think this is the first right after the bridge, a small stop point called... Can't recall, sorry. You can either drive or walk there.

Coming back in a car, it's $5.

Old May 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM

The Vista Point in Marin, i.e. the first exit northbound, is one of the best GG Bridge photo spot.
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think it was Fort Point because it sounded like it was near the base of the bridge on the San Francisco side. However if time permits, I'll also stop at Vista Point on the return drive and get a second photo shot there.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM

If my memory serves me right there are some wonderful photo ops from the road that leads up into the Golden Gate NRA on the north side of the bridge. Good views from there where you can have the entire Bridge in the background as well as most of the City of SF. Don't know if the overlook has a specific name but I think the road is the Conzelman Rd. There are also some fairly good views from the south but the ones from up above in the NRA looking down were the best as far as I was concerned. You will need a clear day for the best shots.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM

The Marin headlands is an exceptional spot for photos of the bridge & the City in the background.

Driving north on 101, passing the vista point exit, take the old Sausalito exit and turn left heading back under 101. Now you're on Conzelman Rd driving west along the headlands towards Ft Barry. Many spots along the way for great photos.