Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Williamsburg VA, what to see and do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there
We, me and my husband, both beginning 40's, daughter 17 and son 11, will be going to Williamsburg the week before Labor Day. We will be staying at the Williamsburg Plantation, (any info on that place?), and we will be having a car.
Any suggestions on some must see and do things that are not too commonly known? I also am interested in things that are listed when doing searches about Williamsburg and surrounding areas, but might seem dull but really are worth the time.
Also looking for some good eats that do not kill the bank, we pretty much eat everything except for Sushi and too too spicey.

Thanks in advance.
Happy travels to all Ü
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Start your visit at the welcome center and do not miss the short movie "Story of a Patriot."

Otherwise, you'll find plenty of info here:

http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/

Enjoy!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Put "Williamsburg Virginia" into the Search this Forum space and a lot of info should appear. There is a lot to do, but you will need to decide on how much time you want to spend on history - Colonial Wmsbg, Jamestown, and Yorktown, vs. shopping outlets vs. theme parks - Busch Gardens and Water Country. Hopefully, you will have at least a meal or two in the restored area, but lots of other nice restaurants in town. Your kids might enjoy a local hangout in the evenings, Sno-to-Go, for a shaved flavored ice on Richmond Rd. Also, Southern cooking at Chickahominy House on Jamestown Rd. or riding the ferry to Surry after time at Jamestown feeding the birds scraps of bread and eating at Surry House. Yorktown has a new River Walk which people are enjoying and eating at Nick's or across the bridge at River's Inn.

Colonial Williamsburg is certainly worth your time w/ day and evening programs, but you must buy tickets to enjoy these - just walking the streets w/o going into buildings is like walking through Disney World w/o riding or going into any attractions.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Do a "search" on this board
Just type Williamsburg,VA in search box and highlight general info
You will get lots of opinions and info from other posters...
Jamestown, just a few miles from Williamsburg is preparing for BIG anniversary (400 yrs ???--next year??) Sounds liked a lot of years !!!I I may have added a few too many???
Anyway it is a great historical settlement to visit...
Tell your son to get a lot of brochures and he can do a "history" report for school!! (That is what my grand-daughter ). She said it is much easier when yuou have actually been there...
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Second Street in Williamsburg is a great restaurant choice. The prices, food quality, and menu selections gave a nice variety for our party. We ended up eating there twice. Check out their website for a sample menu @ www.secondst.com.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
With a 17 yo daughter you may end up spending at least some time at the outlets. There is a lake at Waller Mill Pond for fishing, boating, and hiking. York River State park offers more hiking, and canoeing and kayaking on the creeks. If you are bringing your bikes, I can give you ideas for biking.