Kauai: Hanalei Bay Shocker

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had quite a shock when I went for my morning walk at Hanalei Bay. The beach had been ravaged by the onslaught of 20 – 25 foot waves. It’s completely strewn with driftwood, sea vegetation (including long, stringy things that must have been 4 – 6 feet long), and disgusting sludge—along almost the entire length of the beach.

I was there at high tide and in many areas the water was up to the vegetation, dangerously close to the houses. There was almost no beach in those spots. You can see from the photos how high the water came up at Hanalei Pier and Black Pot.

The beach was posted “no swimming” but lots of people were wading—especially in front of the lifeguard stand at the pavilion. The lifeguards weren’t stopping anyone; it seemed safe. In most areas the waves didn’t seem much different than normal. But the area where there are typically surfers had ENORMOUS waves—and no surfers (which speaks volumes).

I wonder if they’ll clean it up—or let nature take care of that. I’ve never seen anything like it!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=2QctG7hu0ZPog
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 02:48 AM

Must have been incredible watching the big surf?
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM

I know first hand that there is a community beach clean up the morning after the 4th of july festivities. Perhaps there is a similar plan. Or perhaps they will let it go as the winter season gets under way.

Worth looking into to give something back and help with the clean up . Ask around, visit, participate. Don't expect "them' to do it on their own. That's not how things work on Kauai.

When a bridge gets washed out, when a road gets washed out, more often then not, the community works together, volunteering their time and resources, rather then wait for government red tape and funding to slowly approach the situation.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Lookin Glass -- I love that suggestion!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM

At times like this you can always check in with KKCR as they usually have a good pulse of what's going on in the hood and might have information on community services
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Songdoc, this morning the big waves in Hawaii were featured on our local news/weather morning report.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM

It is amazing how quickly a beach can return to normal. This past August there was some larger than usual surf for a couple of days and the beach eroded rather badly. It was back to normal after a few days of calmer conditions.

I wonder how it looks now? Have you been back?
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I just got back. WOW. Mother Nature did a great job!!! The only area that still has a lot of debris is right around the pier. The rest ... you'd never imagine there was a problem.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM

phew. so glad MOM is doing her job. Such a nice beach too.