Reload this Page >

Going on a road trip and....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Dan

Hi there, my wife and I are going on a road trip across America starting in late March from San Fran and winding up at home in Florida. (After spending four years teaching in Asia) I decided that for a homecoming, it would be great to see what America really is like, by driving it. (Hmmm, maybe this wasn't such a good idea, nahhhhh!!!) We're doing this over two weeks or so.

Here is a list of the cities we're stopping in: San Fran, Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Dallas or San Antonio, New Orleans.

If you have any comments about any cities, places to stay (good price!), places to eat, things to see, please feel free to tell me.
Any recomendations about road trips in general would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan and Karen Gipson

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Jason

I have never been to Dallas, but it is my impression that San Antonio is a much more interesting place for a visitor. I did visit San Antonio and loved it. It is a very interesting city, especially the River Walk area. Also, Dallas would be out of your way, since New Orlean and San Antonio are both on I-10.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Former Texan

Dan,

I think you and your wife would find more to do in the Dallas/Fort Worth area than in San Antonio.

I've lived in Dallas and visited San Antonio and didn't think SA was all that interesting once you did the RiverWalk.

Any other opinions on this?

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Dan

Thanks for the reply. Haven't decided which is better, San Antonio or Dallas. Have family in Dallas-Ft. Worth area that I haven't seen in years. BTW, which (oh boy, here we go!!) city would have better eats, in regards to all types of food. Going to be interesting around here now. Ha-ha!

Thanks for the posts.

Dan

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 03:20 AM
brian

see a sunrise and a sunset at the grand canyon

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:41 PM
xxx

plan to be in vegas sunday-thursday. hotel rates are much cheaper then on the weekends.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Jane

Dan-
I grew up in Dallas & went to school in San Antonio and I would definitely recommend San Antonio over Dallas for a visit. Besides the Riverwalk, there are historic neighborhoods, markets, museums (I love the McNay), and Spanish missions. The Latin-American influences also lend charm to the city.

Having said this, you can't discount the family factor in Dallas. Perhaps they could join you in SA for a reunion? Southwest flies cheap and it is a 4.5 hour drive from Dallas. If you decide to go to Dallas, I would recommend the 6th Floor Book Depository (Kennedy Museum)or catching a baseball game at the Ballpark.

In answer to your other question, I would have to say that Dallas has a greater selection of places to eat. The restaurant scene is booming over there and they probably have everything you could possibly want. San Antonio has some great places too (Biga's, Grey Moss Inn) but Dallas has greater volume, and probably greater diversity.

Have a great time!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Dan

Thx for all the replies. Man, planning this trip is taking up some serious time everyday. Didn't know how time consuming it was.

Any info about San Fran would also be great. Looking into some of the less expensive (yeah right!) hotels. Seem to be leaning towards the Golden Gate Hotel and the Cartwright Hotel on Union Sq. Any info would be a great help.

Thanks, Dan

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 11:23 PM
joe

boulevards.com has some good info, and great hotel rates for San Fran.
The San Remo is very affordable in San Fran, a B & B, if you don't mind a VERY small room. The Columbus Motor Inn is decent and includes free parking which is rare in SF.

tripreservations.com has some good rates for hotels in Las Vegas. The Orleans is always an affordable choice there, with VERY nice rooms, but it is not on the "strip" (there is a free shuttle).

If you drive through Salisaw Oklahoma, right on the eastern border, be sure to eat at Lesley's Cafe. They have the best pie in the world, especially the Apricot Pie. We also enjoyed seeing Loretta Lynn's ranch in Hurricane Mills Tennessee.