Search

Go west woman

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go west woman

My family and I are native NYers...don't hold it against us . We're 2 adults and two teens, 14 and 15 and are moving to Santa Barbara this summer. Always felt this NY life was a bit too rushed for us. We're all so excited about it we could just scream. I have 2 sisters in Ca, one in LA and one in SF. We have jobs lined up. Many people say we'll miss alot of NY once we go...any advise from anyone whose done it?
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM

Yes.

1)Ignore all the people who tell you you're nuts.

2) Get a tan right away so you won't look like "tourists".

3) Buy the coolest sunglasses you can afford.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:24 PM

My advice: Accept that the lifestyle in California is completely and utterly different from that of New York, and you should do just fine. Also, accept that if you truly have to have a big gulp of the old New York way of life, you can always visit.

Accept that people will bellyache about rain in any amount-- and recognize that within two years you will be joining them in complaining about it.

Accept that for roughly 11 months out of the year your weather will be much more bearable than that back in NY. And don't gloat about it-- unless you're Xmas shopping with the top down on your convertible. Like I was this past year.

Accept locally-grown fresh produce that will have you eating better and cooking better.

Accept that the better restaurants in CA don't aspire to that burnished high-class, piss-elegant Rarified Dining Experience that you find in the high-end NY restaurants. They just want to have you relaxed while you eat great food, prepared with fresh local ingredients.

Accept the availability of wonderful local wineries. Unless you're a Friend of Bill W.-- but even then, it's such beautiful country! Worth a visit even if you can't drink.

Accept the fact that you'll be able to see more of your sisters. I mean, LA and SF aren't too shabby as cities, are they? And San Diego is only 2 more hours south of LA....

I think you'll do great. Relax and go with the flow-- that's my real advice. And you will love Santa Barbara!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM

rjw- Couldn't have said it better myself? I particularly like the quote about the rain. Of course this year is different, but it sure is true that people complain when the ground is barely wet!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:14 PM

And, may I add, try to refrain from saying, "Back in NY, we did it this way."
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:13 PM

Hi lovetravelin, one gentle suggestion I would give you having known NY transplants to CA.

Do be be in such a hurry, don't be curt with people. You probably already know this having sisters in CA but since you posted here I just wanted to comment as I have know people from NY that have moved to CA and have rubbed people the wrong way because they have brought a NY attitude to CA. And quite frankly it does not go over well.

But I think since you say that NY felt too rushed for you that you will do just fine. And Santa Barbara is beautiful and relaxing. Lucky you! Enjoy your new life. Best wishes to all of you!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:07 PM

No! Don't get a tan. It's really bad for your skin. Even we Californian's know that now.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:10 PM

Oh Grasshopper, don't get a tan is right! And I did for years, probably you did too. But no more. I still have to get some sunspots frozen off again.

Use sunscreen lovetravelin, please! Everyone in CA does know. No more sun tans.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM

Along with not saying "Back in NY, we did it this way", I'd like to add that you're not "out here". You're just HERE. New York is "back east".

Very cool move, enjoy it and follow Rjw's advice to the letter!

love
roxy
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:20 PM

rjw: marvellously well said! ><

lovetravelin: Here's a joke for you -

"Why are Californians like a box of cereal?

Because when you shake out the flakes and nuts, what's left? The fruits."

The biggest decision facing you is deciding whether to be a flake, a nut, or a fruit.

Welcome to California, land of diversity! And yes, we produce almost all of the nuts in this country - pistachios, almonds, walnuts...
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM

you will love it! i moved away last year and was back this past weekend and couldn't help but think "why did i live here for so long?!?".

good luck!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:00 AM

You'll love it. But if you don't, never fear. After all, as a good friend tells me every time I move, it's just moving, it's not a sex change.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:50 AM
lvk

As someone who has made the transition from east coast to west coast living, I can agree with all of the advice you've gotten here. I'll just add a few more observations.

You'll find that people in general are usually in a much better mood here-probably due to the sunshine. Many will make eye contact, and actually smile and say hello. They're not being phony (well, most of them aren't), and they don't want to con you. It took me a while to get used to this. Everytime my Mom visits me from back east, she can't believe how pleasant the sales clerks, waiters and people on the street are.

Since your sisters already live in CA, this might not apply to you, but expect lots of house guests. At first I enthusiastically showed them the sites. Now, I just give them the Thomas Guide and good directions to Universal Studios, Disneyland, Hollywood, etc.

That reminds me ... get a Thomas Guide, and keep it in your car always. Mapquest is great, but not always that accurate.

I have friends from the NY/NJ area that have lived here 20+ years. Their accents have mostly faded, but they still pronounce water "wawda" and go ahead "g'head". For some reason, this usually elicits smiles and sometimes chuckles. Not in a bad way, people just think it's "cute".

I'm excited for you and your kids. If I could give you just one more piece of advice, it would be to keep your minds open. There is indeed lots of diversity here, in ethnicities, cultures, etc. The more you can enjoy this, the more positive your experience will be.

Welcome to California!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:10 AM

I envy your courage - I'd move to Ca in a heartbeat ( daughter lives in Carlsbad) but the cost of housing terrifies me - how did you resolve that problem - or maybe its not a problem for you.