Search

Global Entry Renewal during shutdown

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2019, 07:56 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Global Entry Renewal during shutdown

My global entry is expiring in March. I would like to believe this shutdown will be over by then but who knows? I submitted my renewal application on line this morning and I paid the fee. The web site said an interview might be required but I'm told by our local airport authorities that interviews are suspended until the shutdown is over. The guy told me if it's determined that I do not need an interview they will just send me a new card. If I do need an interview then I fear they will be backlogged and it could be months before my renewal comes through.

So my question is for those of you who have renewed global entry--did you have to do another interview? And if you renewed since the shutdown, how long did it take for your renewal to come through? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 08:09 AM

We both recently renewed our Nexus/Global Entry cards. My understanding on reading the website was that to avoid an interview, you had to do it at least 90 days before expiry (which, by the way, is your birthdate, not the date you got it and that was a big surprise to me!). My SO was just under the 90 day requirement (about 83 days) but they didn't make him come in for an interviews. I'd left plenty of time so that was no problem.

But I'm going to piggyback my question on yours, if you don't mind. We're driving to the US on Friday and will be crossing over the border at Detroit (Windsor/Detroit tunnel). We'd normally use the Nexus lane but if they're short-staffed, will that be closed? Will there be long line-ups at the auto border crossings?
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 09:53 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply gtg. Since the expiration is in March, I'm past that 90 day window. Of course if I had known a few months ago that this fiasco was coming I would have renewed a lot sooner.

On the bright side I can't complain as so many others are suffering far worse harm than losing Global Entry for a few months.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:01 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Hey gtg, when you mentioned the birthday I didn't know what you meant at first but then it sunk in. I got GE in March of 2014 so I had assumed it expires in March 2019. But after your good information finally seeped into my thick skull I looked at my card. My birthday is in September so my GE expires in September 2019. So I have applied well ahead of the 90 day window. Thanks my friend, for making my day.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:04 AM

DH’s also expires in March and we renewed his 2 days ago.

I renewed mine at the end of November and the new card was mailed to me the day we left for our Christmas trip, the 19th of December. I did not have to do another interview. I never heard a peep out of them until I got the card. I did log on to see the status once and it just said something like “pending” or “in process.” I never checked again, just suddenly got the card in the mail.

Hope that’s what happens for you too (and DH)!
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, I don't think the 90 day deal is true. My husband applied for his renewal well more than 90 days before his expiration date and still had to do an interview. I also applied 6 months before my expiration date and while it took 4-5 weeks for the renewal to get processed, I did not have to do an interview. With the exception of him being to India and me not, our travel was identical. Good luck!
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:08 AM

That birthdate thing was a big surprise to me too, P_M, although in my case it worked to my advantage.

yestravel, who understands the reasoning of this sort of thing? It's all very mysterious to me. But the 90 day requirement may not be the only reason people are asked to come in for an interview. For all I know, they draw names out of a hat!
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:41 AM

I was required to have an interview when I renewed. I don't think it was within 90 days of expiration but it could have been.

If my GE was expired because of the shutdown then I might try using the kiosk anyway. If that failed then I would go to the agent. Or I might just go to the agent first. Worst case is that I have to go in the regular line and risk missing a connection. A missed connection due to a long immigration line was what got me to get GE, but I dealt with it. I also missed a connection after going through the GE line and dealt with it then. The reason I don't worry about it is because I know that my passport will, get me into my home country where I know the language and how things work.

The first time I used GE there was nobody in the regular immigration lines. Maybe 3 people. I messed up at the kiosk and was waved over to cut in line. Actually, the last time I used the kiosk it flipped me the bird so I went to the agent in the GE area who tossed my customs form in the trash and told me to go to the "regular" agent 15 feet away.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:51 AM

My husband and I actually renewed ours after expiration and neither of us had to interview.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:10 AM

Had to renew my passport so took the opportunity to renew my Global Entry at the same time even though there was about a year to go on it. Didn’t have to interview and they added the year on to its end date.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>>>>>And if you renewed since the shutdown, how long did it take for your renewal to come through? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by obxgirl; Jan 13th, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 02:47 PM

My husband, daughter and I renewed Nexus in the last year. We were all outside the 90 days. My husband had to do the interview, we didn't. it is annoying to me it is on birthdays. This means that for a family, we all expire at different times. In the end my husband and daughter renewed at the same time and I waited a few months. But, it is more to keep track of.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 04:48 PM

"it is annoying to me it is on birthdays. This means that for a family, we all expire at different times."

I totally agree. There's just the two of us but you know that means I keep track of both, right? Having them expire five years after the date they went into effect would be so much more simple!
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mr. Gruezi is my hero of the moment as he is completing my renewal paperwork. I have a March birthday (Percy knows when) and the machine at JFK told me last week “your Global Entry expires in 72 days.” I also need to renew my passport as its coming up next year and I’m out of pages... But I’m concerned about sending that off with the government shutdown.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Since they are still processing passports during the shutdown, I wouldn’t be concerned about applying for renewal.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh thanks, yestravel! Good to know as I have a several week lull in international travel.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 04:02 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the replies, this has been an interesting thread. I hope they don't call me in for an interview but if they do, that's OK. I'm just glad to know that my GE status is safe until September. I'm especially glad for my TSA pre-check status. DH and I were at LAX last month and it's so great to walk past that mile long TSA line and go straight into the short one.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by gruezi
Mr. Gruezi is my hero of the moment as he is completing my renewal paperwork. I have a March birthday (Percy knows when) and the machine at JFK told me last week “your Global Entry expires in 72 days.” I also need to renew my passport as its coming up next year and I’m out of pages... But I’m concerned about sending that off with the government shutdown.
I sure do .

It is the day after WeisserTee's birthday but a day before iris1745 and cathies ( down under) !!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 09:52 AM

Reading this made me realized that my son's GE is going to expire this March, 2019. On the same day, I filled out the renewal form online (01/13). I was not in a hurry because he has no plans to be out of the country in the next several months but I was kind of anxious that he would need an interview. The nearest airport to us is a 5-hour drive.
He was approved on 01/17, and yesterday, 01/22, he got his new card in the mail. No interview for him. Yay!

Last edited by JoyC; Jan 23rd, 2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 10:33 AM

Glad I read this thread. My birthday is in March and I think my Global Entry should be expiring. Now off to find the card and see what to do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -