Search

Global Entry Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2023, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Global Entry Card

I have researched the Global Entry card and realize that scheduling an interview is the biggest challenge. I live in a remote area in Colorado
and would need to drive to Denver for interview, a 6 hour drive. I am wondering if a Global Entry card is necessary. I will be traveling to Africa in 2024
and thought this card may eliminate long waits at customs. I am not a frequent international traveler and appreciate anyone's opinion on this topic.
Most of my traveling is to FL and TSA has never been a problem since I fly out of small airports.
Just curious--thanks. Kathy
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 08:06 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
No it's absolutely not necessary - we had to drive to Denver for our interview too, but we're much closer to DIA than you. It was still a PITA, but we travel a lot, and have since renewed online. Personally I would not go to the time and effort to get Global Entry for one trip. Getting through immigration without it doesn't take all that long IME.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 10:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely not necessary - but is helpful. Getting through Immigration varies a LOT from airport to airport. One option could be to book an appointment at your arrival airport the next time you fly to Florida.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 11:40 AM

OF course it's not necessary, there is no legal requirement someone get that. Have you thought about what you are proposing -- to spend 12 hours driving to avoid maybe an hour or a bit more (possibly) extra wait upon entry back home? I guess you would have to decide if that's a good tradeoff (plus a fee, of course). Now it is good for five years, but you said you don't travel internationally much. It sounds like you'd be spending more time driving than that wait would cause, even over 2-3 uses.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 02:15 PM

If you don’t do a lot of international travel you might want to look into Mobile Passport Control which is run by Customs and Border Patrol. It’s an app that you download. Fill out the first part before your trip, then add landing information when you land. It’s free, no interview required and if your arrival airport has MPC you will likely get through in minutes.

My husband and I have Global Entry, but lately I’ve been on trips with people who don’t have it. The last time I arrived at SFO the regular line had hundreds of people. MPC is the same line as for diplomats. There were literally 3 people in front of us.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 02:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" . . . to spend 12 hours driving to . . . " Not if barminski makes an appointment in Florida - here are the FL locations.

Fort Lauderdale (Airport Terminal 1)
Fort Pierce (Treasure Coast Intl. Airport)
Ft Lauderdale (Fort Lauderdale Global Entry Enrollment Center)
Miami (Miami International Global Entry EC)
Orlando (Orlando Global Entry Enrollment Center)
Riviera Beach (West Palm Beach Enrollment Center)
Sanford (Sanford Global Entry Enrollment Center)
Tampa (Tampa Enrollment Center)

I wouldn't make a special trip just to get Global Entry (though I did fly to LAX for the 5 minute interview, a burger, and flight back home all in about 5 hours). But if there is a trip to Florida coming up anyway - why not??
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 02:33 PM

You could plan a trip to Denver and stay there while you are doing the global entry interview.

there are several credit cards that if used will simply waive the fee. Chase Reserve is one and there are quite a few others.

I have found that when we use Global Entry, it’s much easier for us. There’s basically no waiting or very little and if you’re coming home from a long trip is pretty nice to not stand in line. And on top of that you don’t have to fill out those forms when you re-enter the country.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Oct 1st, 2023 at 03:25 PM.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 05:50 PM

If you rarely travel internationally probably not worth the cost in fiscal or time expenditure. ta3153's mention of the MPC app is bang on. Last time we arrived from Europe the GE system was down and lines grew like crazy, but the MPC app was working fine.
BTW, the time saved is at immigration, not customs.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Seamus
If you rarely travel internationally probably not worth the cost in fiscal or time expenditure. ta3153's mention of the MPC app is bang on. Last time we arrived from Europe the GE system was down and lines grew like crazy, but the MPC app was working fine.
BTW, the time saved is at immigration, not customs.
For GE no paper customs form is needed. You answer the customs question on the GE kiosk so the time that takes is negligible.

How Do I Declare Goods? As a Global Entry member, you must declare all goods you are importing into the United States. You will be required to answer the customs declaration questions presented on the kiosk, however you will not need to complete the paper customs declaration form (CBP 6059B) before arrival.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Oct 1st, 2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Good advice and will pass on the Global card. Thanks
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
" . . . to spend 12 hours driving to . . . " Not if barminski makes an appointment in Florida - here are the FL locations.

Fort Lauderdale (Airport Terminal 1)
Fort Pierce (Treasure Coast Intl. Airport)
Ft Lauderdale (Fort Lauderdale Global Entry Enrollment Center)
Miami (Miami International Global Entry EC)
Orlando (Orlando Global Entry Enrollment Center)
Riviera Beach (West Palm Beach Enrollment Center)
Sanford (Sanford Global Entry Enrollment Center)
Tampa (Tampa Enrollment Center)

I wouldn't make a special trip just to get Global Entry (though I did fly to LAX for the 5 minute interview, a burger, and flight back home all in about 5 hours). But if there is a trip to Florida coming up anyway - why not??
janis,
I will pass on Global card since it is 1 international trip. Good advice from everyone who responded--much appreciated.
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacketwatch
For GE no paper customs form is needed. You answer the customs question on the GE kiosk so the time that takes is negligible.

How Do I Declare Goods? As a Global Entry member, you must declare all goods you are importing into the United States. You will be required to answer the customs declaration questions presented on the kiosk, however you will not need to complete the paper customs declaration form (CBP 6059B) before arrival.
jacket watch,
Good to know and appreciate the information.
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by barminski
jacket watch,
Good to know and appreciate the information.
Thank you.

Larry