Glenwood Springs or Snowmass?

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Glenwood Springs or Snowmass?

Hi
I've booked a room, for next June, in Glenwood Springs, CO, as a stopover en route from Estes Park to Arches NP. However, I've just spotted a gorgeous place at Snowmass Village, nr Aspen (Top of the Village Condos), where I can get a vast and beautiful place to stay the night, at the same price as the hotel in Glenwood Springs! Just wanted to ask if it would be worth the extra drive, just for one night? Thanks!

PS - for anybody interested in this latest stage of my long-running coast-to-coast planning (!), the itinerary is currently this (all accommodation booked, apart from Black Hills - also flights booked!):

3 night NYC (Radio City Apartments)

(475 miles) 1 night Cleveland (Marriott Towne Place Suites, Middleburg Hts)

(320 miles) 2 nights Chicago (Hampton Inn)

(574 miles - eek) 1 night Sioux Falls (Clubhouse Hotel & Suites)

(373 miles) 3 nights Hill City, SD (High Country Ranch - booking not yet open)

(280 miles) 1 night Estes Park, CO (Peak to Peak Lodge is all I can get for 1 night only)

(204 miles) 1 night Glenwood Springs (Hot Springs Lodge) - or should we drive to Snowmass?

(198 miles) 1 night Moab (Red Cliffs Lodge)

(164 miles) 1 night Monument Valley (Gouldings)

(258 miles) 1 night Zion NP (Zion Lodge)

(158 miles) 2 nights Las Vegas (villa booked from vrbo)

(141 miles) 1 night Death Valley (Furnace Creek Ranch)

(299 miles) 3 nights Palm Springs (villa booked from vrbo)

(139 miles) 2 nights San Diego (Humphreys Half Moon Inn)

(125 miles) to LAX and home!

OK, I know it's a rush and I know it will be HOT in places, but we're happy with this (apart from the looooong distances across Penn and Min)

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM

It's actually closer, if you're going east to west. I'd take the Aspen place in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:52 AM

oops, unless you're on I70; however, I'd still make the drive, it's not far at all.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sylvia. I was a bit confused there with you saying it was closer! Yes, we'll be taking I=70. My hub is complaining though - saying it's only for one night and not worth it. But it looks gorgeous - and you have to 'do' Aspen, don't you!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Snowmass is about 30 minutes from Glenwood, and Aspen another 15 minutes, depending on traffic. Driving past Mount Sopris is beautiful, and if you have time, you can visit the Maroon Bells. (I love Glenwood for the springs and pool, but can't think of anyplace I've stayed there that would be better than a mountain condo!)
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh gosh, yes - I'd forgotten Maroon Bells! You can get the bus there, can't you? That's a definite then!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM
MaureenB

If you stay at Snowmass, you'll still be a little ways out of Aspen proper. And if you're that close to Aspen, you really should see it, plus the Maroon Bells.

So, I'd recommend you add a night to Aspen/Snowmass, so you can enjoy it. If you can't add a night, you may as well stay at Glenwood Springs. No need to drive the extra miles if you can't enjoy a brief stay there, and just have to get up and go in the morning anyway.

Aspen is beautiful. One of our most favorite locations in Colorado. We've been there in June many times. It can be rainy, so be prepared with layers.

Personally, I'd take a night out of South Dakota or Las Vegas, or drive through Death Valley without spending the night. Just IMHO.
>-

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:39 AM

But if you can only do the one night, DO IT!!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Maureen
Yes, I see your point, but one night is better than none! I'm really quite unwilling to change the itinerary too much. We've spent some time in the Canadian Rockies and in Glacier NP and LOTS of time in the European Alps, so, although we love mountains, we can get to see those easier than cowboy stuff and deserts!
If we turn off I-70 at Copper Mtn (? my map's not very clear here - this lies on the page turn!) and take 91 to Leadville and then 82 to Snowmass Village, we can take a quick peek at Aspen and then continue down to I-70 and continue on our way from Glenwood Springs. The accommodation at Snowmass Village appears to be better and cheaper than that in Aspen. My only concern is that we will be taking the scenic road through RMNP in the same day. I hope we will have enough time.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Something to consider...

If you've been driving a while, the hot springs are awesome. I would stay in Glenwood, spend time in the healing water, venture out to Aspen and the Maroon Bells, and go back to the springs. The cost for the springs is about $16 for a day with many entrances and exits. The springs are well worth it!