Glacier Park Trip Report

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier Park Trip Report

We just got home from a visit to the park and our daughter who is spending her second summer working at Swiftcurrent.

Arrival: Our first stop was The Museum of the Plains Indians in Browning. There were some great artifacts, particularly the clothing items. Next we pulled into Park Cafe in St. Mary's for coffee and a piece of Razzleberry pie. Mmmm.

We checked into our spotlessly clean and charming cabin at Swiftcurrent and reunited with our daughter. We did a quick hike to Fishercap Lake; no moose this time.

Had buffalo steaks at The Cattle Baron in Babb. Pouring rain in PM.

Day 2: Sunny! Breakfast at Babb Press. Husband and daughter hiked the Highline Trail and had an excellent time. Saw lots of animals and fields of glacier lilies. I sat on a rocky beach at St. Mary Lake with my book, had lunch at Many Glacier and kayaked around Swiftcurrent Lake. Four of us drove into Browning to attend the Indian Days celebration and Powwow. My daughter's boss asked her to attend; saw my blonde daughter in the dance circle in a swirl of costumes. A true Montana moment!

Day 3: Sunny! Slept in a bit. Had coffees and yogurt on porch of Swiftcurrent.
Met daughter and her friend at Park Cafe for lunch. More pie! Drove the Going-to-the-Sun road. Had a black bear run out in front of our car. (fourth black bear sighting of the trip) also saw goats past Logan pass and a moose in a swamp near Lake McDonald. Stopped at Sun Point (?) on St. Mary's...great vista. Logan's Pass very crowded. Waded in Lake McDonald. Dinner at Eddy's in Apgar. Drove the road home. Nice evening light on the peaks.

Day 4: Partly cloudy. Waterton Lakes. Took boat to Goat Haunt. Enjoyable. Drinks in Prince of Wales Hotel. Checked into Many Glacier Hotel and attended the Hootenany. Fun! Swam in Swiftcurrent Lake, dinner and drinks in the Swiss Pub.

Day 5: Sad good-bye to daughter. Pouring rain. Mountains and daughter receding in the rear view mirror. Waaah!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Sounds great! Welcome home.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Thanks for the report. It brought back some great memories of my summer working at Glacier NP back in the mid-80's. What a beautiful place.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM
cd

Thanks for the report. We have not been to Glacier since, somewhere around 1965 but I remember fondly Going to the Sun Hwy!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Thanks for your report! We are leaving in about a week for our first trip to Glacier. I am interested in hearing more about your day at Waterton. We were thinking of going one afternoon for dinner or just drinks at the Prince of Wales Hotel. Did you leave from Many Glacier Hotel area? How long was the drive? How was the boat trip? Any tips you have are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

dhswor: The drive from Many Glacier to Waterton is about an hour to an hour and a half long. It takes about 20 minutes to get out to the highway from Many and then the road is good all the way into Waterton. Customs went very quickly for us. Remember your passports! The hotel in Waterton sits high on a rocky bank and has a wonderful view of the lake. The bar and lobby have big windows to look out. The boat ride takes about two hours and was very crowded (we did it on the weekend.) I did a ride on St. Mary's Lake last summer and enjoyed that more because it was less crowded, but I am guessing that depends upon the day. You will love Glacier! Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks for your reply! It's good to know that it's doable from many Glacier! How far from the border is the Prince of Wales hotel? Would you recommend doing this side trip for an afternoon/evening? Is it worth it? Thanks again!