Search

Glacier Park Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier Park Advice

Hello - We are planning our honeymoon for next June (early June to avoid the crowds hopefully)and are thinking about Glacier National Park (also looking at Grand Tetons and Yellowstone). We are specifically looking for advice on Lodging that will provide some comfort/amenities/romance. Does anyone have advice about the different lodges and options that might meet these needs (we don't want to break the bank - but are ok with spending some money... it is our honeymoon after all).

THANKS!
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:58 AM

We have visited most of the Parks both in the US and West Canada and would suggest the following:
- try to get a room at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton lakes Alberta. As you probably know Glacier N. P. is divided in two partsWaterton lakes in the north on the Canadian border and Glacier nat. P.in the south)This is one of the most romantic hotels with a magnificent view of the lakes and the mountains. Stay there a couple of days.
- then drive on to Gardiner Montana. It's a cowboylike little town but only 1 mile from the North entrance of Yellowstone N.Park.We stayed at the Motel there but there are several hotels available. You can check them on www.hotels.com.
- As I do not know how long and from where you will be travelling I'll just give you a trip we made in 2000.
- Take 3 days for Yellowstone .then on to the G.Tetons. Stay in Jackson.Dont forget to visit Lake Jenny on a secondary road.
- then to Salt Lake City:if you like lovely music try to go to a rehearsal of the Tabernacle Choir.
- then straight along the Great salt lake and Nevada desert to Lake Tahoe
- I dont know if the Tioga pass into Yosemite nat. park will be open in June but we did it in September and stayed in Mariposa for a couple of days visit in Yosemite. Lovely too.
- we then traveled back to S. Francisco and back to Belgium.
Hope this is of some help to you. Paul
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:00 AM

After reading my reply I saw that I forgot to say that after Waterton lakes you take the"going to the sun road" in Glacier N. Park and stay in Kalispell. Sorry Paul
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Iwould follow all of the above except for Salt Lake City and everything following! If you can't get Prince of Wales, there's a nice big lodge on Mary Lake in St. Mary. Very scenic. If you go to Yellowstone, The Old Faithful Lodge is a nice place to stay, with a better than average restaurant (for U.S. national parks, that is). Teton has tons of modern motels in Jackson, if you are tired of lumber-themed rooms by then! Enjoy! You'll have wonderful memories of gorgeous sights to share forever.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Lake McDonald Cabins at Glacier
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 02:25 PM

The Garden Wall Inn is a beautiful place to stay in Whitefish -- not too far from Glacier Park. They have a website.

Dinner at Tupelo Grill in Whitefish is delicious.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 06:02 AM

I just returned from this park, did the going to the Sun road, stayed in Waterton, and ended up flying home from Calgary...The Prince of Wales hotel in Waterton would be the ultimate for a view, but the main lodge in Waterton was very nice, we had dinner there...it's a small, charming town, and searches should give you all the info...congrats and have fun !