Search

Glacier NP or Yellowstone?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier NP or Yellowstone?

We are currently planning a summer trip out west for our family of four. All but the 9 year old have been to Yellowstone and Teton.

How does Glacier compare, both with respect to scenery and abundance of wildlife?

We are interested in hiking, wildlife viewing, horseback riding(19 year old is an avid rider). maybe a rodeo, ghost town visits and perhaps a hot spring visit.
We also tend to like "nicer" accommodations.

We are loking at about ten days travel, so would Waterton be a viable option? Many people on this forum seem to rave about the place!

Any input and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM

Glacier (Waterton on the Canadian side) is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I think even more than Yellowstone. Yes it can be done in 10 days but is a lot of driving. Plan it out and "see if it flows." You could do Glacier this trip along with other northern sites and parks and save Yellowstone for a different time. The town of Watertown is very delightful. The most beautiful lake in the world, a boatride on the lake, a beautiful park, everything is amazing about that place. Loved, loved, loved it!!! Also loved Yellowstone but with only 10 days, I'd pick one or the other. I think it's 500 miles between the two of them, if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM

the main thing is you want to drive around the state of montana....it is the most scenic state of them all. Yellowstone has the animals, glacier the scenery and hikes. waterton is fabulous and if you are lucky you will see lots of animals. You can hand feed deer in Waterton. Mountain goats blocked the road on time. and I have seen bear there twice. there are tons of rodeos in all towns in montana, but you will have to find a web site to get the times. Waterton is really a one or two day thing. you must go behind the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton and se the view...unparalled..and the lighting changes it dramatically form morning to evening....go twice. At the visitor center of Glacier half way thru going to the Sun road is a great hike...walk across the road and follow the trail as far as you wish..(it goes 8 miles)...great view and sometimes mountain goats. ten days will get you around the state if you don;'t go east of Bozeman. pault
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM

The going to the sun highway thru Glacier may not be open until sometime in July due to construction possably sooner. Might spend most of your time on the East side of the park and Waterton. Accommodations in the park tend to be rather "rustic" so if you are looking for nicer places you might do better with lodging outside the park. If you are not coming too early there will be lots of trails open for hiking.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Really depends on when you are planning to go. I have been to both a number of times, and BTW zztopz, it is really only @ 6 hours between the two since the speed limit most of the way is 75, and everyone drives at least 80.

In Glacier, there are so many lakes and the fishing is excellent(btw, no license required in any national parks). Hiking trails galore and some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet. One small caution, it can snow any time of the year at Glacier, other than that, it's great. One other note, it is only 1.5 hours to Canada, and even though the exchange rate is not what it used to be, (I went once when it was $1.55CA for every $1US), you can still find good values.

With Yellowstone(disclaimer:I have not been there in a few years), you will find tons of wildlife, Old Faithful. Yellowstone canyon is one my personal favorites, not at as big as the Grand Canyon, but just as majestic. The one note of caution with Yellowstone is that there is ALOT of tourists that want to visit it since is the nation's first national park and Old Faithful that spews every 65 minutes or so.

Not sure if you're driving or flying, but both are served by most of the major airlines. And considering you have ten days, I would try to do both 4.5 at one, 1 day for travel and 4.5 at the other.