Search

Glacier NP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier NP

We are planning our trip for next summer to Glacier NP. We will have 3 days to stay there. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do?
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM

If you search this site for Glacier you'll get more tips than you know what to do with, but.....
Lodging - in the park my favorite is Lake McDonald Lodge,lots of folks prefer the Many Glacier Hotel.
Outside, Columbia Falls and whitefish are nearby on the West side. Never stayed outside the park on the east side.
To Do - Going to the Sun Road, a must see for anyone. If you don't like driving narrow mountain roads, take one of the old red touring car tours.
Logan Pass
Lake McDonald
Many Glacier area
....way too many ideas to list.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM

This summer, starrs, who posts here, steered us to the Many Glacier area of the park where there is a lodge and the starting place for a cruise on two lakes.

Many Glaciers was a highlight of our trip to Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons. Its appeal includes that it is off the beaten track and, when there, one feels to be surrounded by mountains.

If you have the time (and passports), I urge you to continue on to Waterton Lakes National Park, just across the border in Canada.

HTTY
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM

If you don't like driving mountain roads, remember there is a FREE shuttle that runs the Sun Road from the first of July till the day after Labor day.
Many Glacier is definetly the gem of the park.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Check this URL:

www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

More specifically, a hike of almost any length will increase your enjoyment immensely.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Ok, So I am going to Glacier next year. Anyone have an opinion on two hikes. I have time for just one. Either Highline Trail or Avalanche Lake. Will do one of them as a Ranger Led Hike. I do think that Avalanche is closed a lot due to bears. Anyone have an opinion on which one to do, they both look great. Or any other longer day hikes.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM

These hikes are completly different. Highline is a 7 mile walk, one way, with very little elevation gain but spectacular views and takes you to Granite Park chalet. From there you can drop down to the loop on the Sun Road which is only 4 miles but has an elevation drop of approx. 2400 feet. So you save 3 miles and you can use the free shuttle from/to Logan Pass or from/to the Loop.
Avalanche Lake is a much shorter hike, about 2 miles one way, with just a little elevation gain, approx. 500 feet. I have never known it to be closed due to bear activity. I can remember it being posted 2/3 times but never closed.

IMHO the highline trail is the best of the two.
Stop in visitors center in Apgar for all the latest info on trail closures and postings and other trail info.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM

I meant Iceberg Lake. Don't know why I said Avalanche
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Your correct on Iceberg Lake. Trail has been posted the last 2 days.