Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Glacier National Park-stay inside or outside the park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 12:36 PM
cheryl cockrell

My husband and I with our 12 year old daughter will be staying in Glacier Montana
at the end of July. We are lucky to have a reservation at both Lake Mcdonald Lodge inside the park and St.Mary's Lodge outside the park. St.Mary's sounds nicer but I want the convenience of staying inside the park. Does anyone have a suggestion? Maybe you might have a better idea of a place to stay somewhere else. Much thanks from Cajun Country , Louisiana.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 03:00 PM
Lynne

Cheryl,
It really depends on how much you value the convenience of staying in the park. Park lodgings are sparse, no TV, no telephone, with very little extra space (you could hardly turn around in the bathroom). The furniture is very outdated but we've found the rooms to be clean. If you are going to be out all day and just need a place to sleep and shower, and don't care for extra amenities, then keep your reservations. If you prefer more amenities, I would recommend staying outside the park.

We've never stayed at St. Mary’s, so I can't help you there. But it's just outside the park entrance, that you are nearly "in the park".

You might want to consider staying at one side of the park for a few days and then another side for a few days. This will give you a better chance to explore without driving so much every day.

We stayed at a very nice B&B outside West Glacier called Bad Rock. The hosts were very nice and provided lots of info on local restaurants, events, park info, etc. Breakfast was a true treat and stayed with us all day venturing in the park. I think their web site is badrock.com.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 06:36 PM
Paula

Hi, Cheryl! Why not consider zipping across the border & staying @ Waterton National Park?

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Bob Brown

Other posters have stated that St. Mary's Lodge is a dump. I suggest you do a search on that topic and read the comments yourself.
I have stayed at two different places accessible by highway within the park. Both of them were barely acceptable.
If you have the AAA Tourguides, check out Columbia Falls and other little places near the park.
My favorite is the Kilmorey in Waterton. It is more expensive, but you get a decent room.
The motels in East Glacier are acceptable.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 09:26 PM
John

Lake McDonald is WONDERFUL...SPECTACULAR!!!! Tragically, it was fully booked when I got there after driving like a mad-man from the east side. If I recall, St. Mary's Lodge is a large, new, pseudo-indian influenced lodge out in the open with nothing around it. No question in MY mind that I'd pick Lake McDonald (though I didn't actually STAY there). I ended up staying in another lodge on the east side....can't remember then name...Sunrise??? something like that. It was just ok.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 08:36 AM
ellyn

Definitly stay IN the park! In ANY park, you'll have the best atmosphere and experience. No, the lodges aren't like the Ritz, but who cares? You'll be spending your time in the park.

We have stayed in the park and also at St. Mary's Lodge. I agree with other posters - St. Mary's Lodge isn't worth the price - at all! It's small, not very nice and very over-priced. There are a few others nearby that we wish we would have chosen. (Sorry, can't remember the names off hand.) Also, we agree that the management is rude - interesting that others think so, too! We almost thought it was us! (But we're really nice.

But remember, your best bet is to stay in the park anyway. Have a wonderful time, it's our favorite park!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 04:30 PM
mary

Last year we stayed at Many Glacier--- it was wonderful!!!!! The views cannot be beat--- we also went into Lake McDonald lodge--we thought it was lovely!!! Enjoy your trip --it is an amazing part of the country!!
Mary