Girls trip,staying in times square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are three of us traveling to NYC in September and are planning on staying in Times Square. I have searched this message board, Fodors recommendations, and the Frommers website. We are looking for the best accommodations within $200-300/night range. We have narrowed it down to The W Hotel, Marriott Marquis, Crowne Plaza, or the Westin . Could you give me feedback on which you would choose and why?? Thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:39 AM

Are you planning on getting one room or two?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:41 AM

My daughter and her husband have stayed twice at the W and have loved it.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:58 AM

Are you set on Times Square? It's a must-see for visitors but the best restaurants and nightlife in NYC are downtown---not to mention great shopping. You might want to look into the W Union Square or 66 Thompson.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:10 AM

I would only stay in Times Square if I were planning on seeing a lot of shows. Otherwise, you may want to broaden your search.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:25 AM

You don;t say how old you "girls" are (my grandmother used to say she was playing bridge with the "girls" when she was over 80).

Without knowing that - and a little about your plans its hard to say. Times Square is OK if you're doing a lot of shows - but is the least trendy place in the city. But if you're young and want trendy you definitely want to be downtown. If you're a little less young and want sophisticated/museums/designer shopping etc - you would be better on the east side or uptown.

A little more info would help give better advice.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 12:00 PM

nytraveler,
A relative by marriage got tired of young thangs taking over the local clubs and organizations (garden club, church, etc) so she organized a club where that could not happen.

It was the GOSH Club...standing for "Girls over 70, Honey!"
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 12:27 PM

If 3 of you are staying in the same room, I'd have a look at the Doubletree suites Time Square which is, as the name implies all suites so you'd have some extra space. The other nice hotels in the area are the Sofitel and the Michelangelo. Both are in the theater area without being on top of Times Square.

But I do agree, unless you're doing a lot of theater, the nicer restaurants and shopping are not in Times Square.

Of the hotels you mention, I'd eliminate the Marriott. Everyone complains about the slow elevators and it's nothing special. People like the Westin and it's new(ish) but it's not very near any decent shopping. The W is nice, especially if you girls are under 35.

The Crowne Plaza might be good too. Never think about it but it gets good reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:13 PM

If you shop well, $200-$300 will get you a pretty nice hotel. I'm curious why you are interested in all those chain hotels (with the exception of the W). Why not try to swing a room at something more "only-in-new York?" like the Waldorf or the Plaza if you like old school, or SoHo Grand if you want to be more "downtown girls".

Times square is a site to see, but it's loud and crowded with those tourists we all pretend not to be ;-)

If you really want to be near Times Square, check out the Michaelangelo, but beware, you might get a room w/ a queen bed when you reserved two doubles or a king (which happened to me). It's a little tight for 3 girls to fit in a queen!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

We're planning on staying in 1 room, so we need 2 beds. It seems that most of the "Boutique" hotels have only 1 bed per room. We're open to suggestions though. We're planning on eating, shopping, and going to some shows. We're 30 years old--factor that in-- all help is appreciated.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:00 PM

If you're seeing shows at least a couple of your nights, then I certainly understand being in the theatre district. Being able to walk to your show and being able to walk to a restaurant then back to your hotel after is a BIG improvement over fighting the traffic and taxi situation to get to the theatre on time and then get a taxi after the show if you're staying somewhere else. Daytime is great for heading off to "downtown" for shopping and lunch.

I do know that Marriott Marquis has rooms with two double beds and as New York rooms go, they are quite large. They also have wall to wall, floor to ceiling glass giving you a spectacular panorama of the lights of Broadway, especially if you request a north facing room with a view.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:52 AM

Friends love the MM and stay every trip to NYC. For its size and location, I was amazed at how "not hectic" it is once you get inside the lobby. My first trip to NYC we stayed at the newly opened Grand Hyatt and we had quite a trek back after a show - could not find a taxi. I think Times Square is a great location for those who want to be in the hustle and bustle of the city and Theatre District. Be sure to go to the top and "take a trip" in the revolving lounge and/or restaurant. Have a Lemon Drop for me!

I like the Hilton too (on 6th). I haven't stayed in the Times Square location (yet). Try them if you want another hotel with 2 bed options.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:14 AM

my friend and i stayed at the doubletree on times square because of the extra space the suites provide also the sink and refrigerator. it is a distance to many things from there, but i like to walk around midtown for the sites, all the buses are right there to get you places, (way cheaper than cabs) (think of ny mass transit as an adventure rather than a hassle!) i walked to central park, ok it was a long walk, but it was good for me! also moma is open again. don't miss it.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I just was in New York a couple of weeks ago.We stayed at the Casablanca and really liked it there. It is right at times square and in your price range.There also included a breakfast in the price. We had two double beds in our room.The staff is great. Very friendly and willing to help.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:31 PM

I don't care how many shows you plan to see -- three 30-somethings should not stay in the Times Square area. You can do so much better -- just about anywhere other than Times Square.

Enjoy NYC!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM

i agree- i'm the same age & i would much prefer to stay in union square or soho. much less touristy & more hip. lots of restaurants & bars. great areas.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:26 PM

How about The Giraffe Hotel on Park Ave South or I also agree with the W Union Square.

Unless you have been to the city before, staying in Times Square is busy, crowded and LOUD. It this is a first time trip for at least one of the group, then Times Square can be fun, but since it's the major tourist area of the city, it's gonna be crowded and I mean shoulder to shoulder.

For the price you are willing to spend, you should be able to one of the nice hotels intown, through www.hotels.com, or priceline, (which might be iffy for 3, but if you do get a great deal you can always call the hotel directly and ask for 2 beds.

You also might try for The Palace Hotel on Madison Ave, right behind St. Patricks Cathedral, it was completely rennovated a couple of years ago and is really beautiful.

There is also The Dream Hotel on 7th and several hotels on Central Park South that would fit the bill as well.

One hotel in town promises the best nights sleep, and even has a pillow consierge, but can't remember which hotel it is, and I know someone else will help with that one.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:51 PM

The W is grand. Consider the Marriott Rihga Royal. On quiet street but near Brodaway. Easy walk.
try to get tix for Dave Letterman show. Tapes form 4-6pm. Go onto NBC website for info. Good fun.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Another idea to enhance your NYC experience may be to try a "B&B" in the city -- live like the locals, and get a larger suite at the same time. I hear West 11th House is a great one (and in a fantastic area) look at www.west-eleventh.com or there's something called a Country Inn in the City on the Upper West Side. Also a fab area with boutiques, restaurants and of course Central Park nearby. I think this one's at www.countryinninthecity.com.
Have fun!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM

woops, just realized you already narrowed down your search. Didn't mean to confuse you even more! Oh well, post is up anyway...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -