Girls golf Trip - East Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2021, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In celebration of our 70th birthdays - we want to take a golf trip. We live in north Florida, and due to covid we want to drive vs. fly. We are looking at the East Coast, Sea Island, Myrtle Beach, Pinehurst. We like to play golf and eat at really good restaurants! We are planning for the end of April, or anytime in May. Any recommendations?
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 07:24 AM

Near Myrtle Beach (30 minutes) is Litchfield/Pawlwy's Island. Can't get better food than nearby Murrell's Inlet. Many golf courses. MyrtleBeach is super easy to fly into and just get started. Pinehurst would probably be flying into Raleigh and a little further to drive.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

THank you. I have heard of Pawley's Island but never been there - we will check it out.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 03:57 AM

There are golf courses all up and down the strand. We have a place at Litchfield and it is just so much more pleasant than the Myrtle Beach traffic and hubub. Everything is much more convenient.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 04:54 PM

Check out The Cloisters at Sea Island, Georgia. Upscale accommodations, 3 championship golf course (caddies provided) and great food at the resort and plenty of other restaurants nearby as well.

If you decide on the Myrtle Beach area check out golfing packages at Legends Golf (https://legendsgolf.com/golf-packages) - 5 different golf courses, on-site condo style accommodations with breakfast and lunch included. Plus you'll find scores of nearby restaurants in all price ranges and cuisines for dinner.
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 03:11 AM

Legends is inland on a cut through road in a fairly recently (10-15 years) developed area. If is only golf you want I am sure it is fine. And being from Florida, maybe being on the water doesn't matter. But if I am coming to a beach area I want and ocean view.
Almost any resort has a "package".
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 03:20 AM

Legends is far inland in an area on a cut through that has developed in the last 10-15 years when they widened the highway. Being from Florida maybe you don't feel the way I do--if I am going to the "beach" I am going to be "on the ocean" with a view. There are packages EVERYwhere in the MB area and especially off season, although there isn't much "off season" in that area.
Here is the link to Litchfield, not to be one note. But it is a gorgeous area.
https://www.litchfieldbeach.com/?pho...BoCDWAQAvD_BwE

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gretchen
Legends is far inland in an area on a cut through that has developed in the last 10-15 years when they widened the highway.
Legends is only 9 miles from Myrtle Beach (about a 15 minute drive). I wouldn’t classify that as “far inland”. We did a week long golf stay and went to the beach several times and dined out every night in Myrtle Beach and never once considered it a long trip. You obviously feel 9 miles is too long a drive.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 03:21 AM

I know exactly how far Legends is from MB. I drive by Legends 8 times a year on that cut through between US 17 and Route 501--on my way to and from our oceanfront 1st floor condo. I personally dislike MB and have for about 60 years when we used to go to Ocean Drive (now called North MB) and it was still fairly "quaint". It is a never ending 6 lanes of T shirt shops, strip malls, etc. and is now high rises. Just to set the scene, e do drive about 8 miles north from Litchfield to Murrell's Inlet which is the little town with probably the best restaurants north of Charleston. Or we go just south for another row of great restaurants. And actually we can walk to a couple of restaurants just down the beach at Litchfield Inn.
If you go to Legends again you would really do well to just go to Murrell's Inlet to eat!! Just take Route 707. It's close so I'll recommend that to the OP if they decide on Legends.
There are beautiful places to stay ON the beach and 2 miles from the first tee-- I just stated my feeling that if you are travelling to a beach area and there are oceanside accomodations with all the desired perks of golf, shopping and good food, I'll always choose a water view.
And as I said, there are endless golf packages in the MB area.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Not a fan of traffic and hubub!! I'll research.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Lichfield link It looks like a great place to spend a week!
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 07:48 AM

I f you are going to be there a week I will also add that Charleston is only an hour and a half drive and a nice day trip. Also Georgetown is only 20 minutes south and an absolutely charming Revolutionary War era town with a wonderful waterfront for dining and shopping. Don't miss at least a drive through to see the architecture. And Pawley's Island beach is where the rice planters from Charleston came to escape the malarial mosquitoes in summer and it has totally maintained its integrity of an old fashioned beach community.
If you go and want restaurant recs I'd be glad to provide--we've eaten at pretty much ALL of them!!
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

That's all great information and I LOVE Charleston! I've only been there once, for a wedding, but really fell in love with the place. Thank you.