Girls Family trip to Sarasota

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2023, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a multigenerational family girls trip to Florida this winter. My two adult daughters and my 6 month old granddaughter. We just want to keep it simple and have heard good things about Sarasota. I'm not at all familiar with Florida and thought that the Gulf side would be warmer in January. We would like to be near the beach and near the town as well. I would consider renting a car which, I guess, I'll need. Could you recommend a boutique hotel with a pool and breakfast offered? Any information that could be provided about this area, would be appreciated. We are coming from Boston and Minneapolis. Thank you
Old Jun 27th, 2023, 03:50 PM
Forum Moderator

Thread moved from Tech Support to the US board and tagged for Florida
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 09:51 AM

Sarasota. It features a vibrant downtown with an equally vibrant bookstore and cafe culture. Attractions include the Selby Botanical Gardens (with 6,000 orchids), Ringling Museum of Art, Circus Museum, and Towles Court Artist Colony. Nearby are lovely powdery white-sand beaches (such as South Lido Park Beach). Bicycle or walk on the Legacy Trail to Venice. Take a wildlife cruise and view dolphins and manatees. There are many nature preserves in the Sarasota County.
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Sounds like a fun area to visit.
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sarasota may be fine in January, but understand that it can just as easily be chilly. For guaranteed beach weather you might want to head farther south.
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 12:30 PM

I was in Sarasota earlier this year in mid-February and the weather was ideal, picture perfect but not too hot. We didn't spend much time sitting at the beach but could easily have done so as we did walk on the beach by Armand Circle. We walked all around downtown and the marina area and had a wonderful afternoon at the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. Not enough time to do the Ringling but that is the plan for another visit.
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Madam397. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Actually, Could you recommend a place to stay?
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 02:33 PM

I can't imagine you can go in the water in January. It's winter, that's the coldest sea temperature of the year. It's only about 65 in the water at that time. If you just want to look at the beach, that's fine, the weather should be ok. I've been there a couple times but didn't stay in a boutique hotel, just one of the larger resort hotels on the Gulf, west of Armand Circle on Lido Key. I don't think there are any boutique hotels on Lido Key. I wanted to be on the beach as long as I was going there. It's an easy drive to Armand Circle for some restaurants.

Anyway, Sarasota has a lot of chain hotels, both high and low, but I suppose there is some boutique hotel in the city proper somewhere. I don't suppose you call the Ritz Carlton a boutique hotel. This is the only one I could find that is not a chain hotel of some kind (if you want a boutique chain hotel, there is an Aloft if that's your idea of boutique).

https://thereserveretreat.com/

It's very small, just a few rooms, kind of a house.

​​​​​​​
this is the best boutique chain hotel I think, and it does have a pool. This is a rather large hotel, though.
https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...aph-collection

I"m not sure what you are wanting for a hotel, a boutique hotel with a pool in the city. The hotels on the beach have pools, but they aren't boutique, they are large resort hotels. And there is a big Westin and Ritz Carlton that have some water views being just over the bridge from Lido Key. The Westin has a small rooftop pool, the Ritz has a larger pool.

THis hotel calls itself a boutique hotel and has a pool. Not my idea of a boutique hotel, but people mean various things when they say that.

https://www.komposehotels.com/

Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Christina
This is really helpful. We are all coming from cold climates so jus to walk on the beach in January would be wonderful. I'll look into all your links when I get the time. Thank you!
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 08:02 AM

The boutique hotel we stayed in is the Tribute Modern, part of Marriott. It was a great location on the Avenue of the Arts, had a lovely pool and our room was quiet and comfortable. We never had breakfast in the hotel but on both days walked to several different breakfast spots. We did have an early dinner there outside by the pool one night as we had tickets to see Mandy Patinkin and the venue was walking distance from our hotel. We also walked to dinner the first night at Marina Jack's and had reservations for the restaurant upstairs, not the casual bar places on the ground floor. We really enjoyed our time in Sarasota and again we were sorry we hadn't booked another night's stay.