Gigi's windward side oahu

Mar 2nd, 2000, 12:10 PM
lady

Gigi's windward side oahu

Gigi's paradise is a place I saw on the internet on the windward side of oahu, sounds very nice, curious if anyone has stayed there and could give me some feedback. Thanks

Mar 2nd, 2000, 05:27 PM
David

I just checked the phone book and didn't find a listing in the white pages or yellow pages under [email protected]'s, hotels, or motels, and I have never heard of it...

Sep 24th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Guy

I hope that everyone who considers this option will heed my advice. I learned the hard way. What you find at www.gigisparadise.com is a sham! The paradise rooms are a few rentals in a residential apartment building with NO AIR CONDITIONING!! The building appears to be a 1950s era hotel converted to apartments. It is old and run down with the local sewage lift station in the front yard. Inside the rooms were roaches and geckos. The reason that Gigi asks for cash 30 days in advance is so that you will not be able to get a refund when you arrive and find out what a dump it is! Save your money and stay in Honolulu. (By the way, Turtle Bay has lost its Hilton affiliation and is undergoing massive construction in the summer and fall of 2002...not a good north shore option either.)

Sep 26th, 2002, 03:57 AM
hens4th

While Gigi's may be a dump, I disagree with the advice to stay in Honolulu/Wakiki. Start checking out rental houses/cottages on both the north and windward shores - many are very affordable, and the windward shore is absolutely georgous and MUCH more uncrowded than Wakiki.

Mar 4th, 2003, 02:48 PM

has anyone been to Gigi's at the cottages who has had a positive experience? The cottage and beach seems like a great location for kids.
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Stay away from Schraders also on the Windward side, another dump. Its a shame a nice side of the island but lodging choices are slim.
Mar 5th, 2003, 03:02 PM

You say Schraders is "another dump"...So do you know that Gigi's is a dump? Other than what Guy says?
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Since Gigi's is a dump according to one reply and I know that Schraders is a dump maybe they need a Better Business Bureau on that side of the island to warn people. Also the theft on the island is pervasive they need to hire Rudy Giuliani!
Mar 6th, 2003, 08:00 PM
lyb

In response "Guy" who's real name is not Guy, I would like to respond to his continuous behavior which is libel. Let me tell everyone that I am part of Gigi's Oceanfront Paradise, and "Guy" aka "Jimmy", came to our condos in summer and proceeded to complain that there was no air conditioning. True, there is no air conditioning, for a simple reason, we are not stuck in the middle of the city and most people keep their patio doors open and fresh air comes in. Also, unlike "Guy's" wife, most people don't come dress to Hawaii in long sleeve black T-shirts and then complain that it is HOT. Yeah, it would be. We did bring him additional fan so they could keep wearing all those clothes and cool off.

Roaches, another fun thing, no one had seen bugs in that unit before or has since. However, "Guy" saw bugs all over the place. Ummm....

Jimmy...or I mean "Guy" also claimed there were no linens for the sofa bed. However, it is clearly stated in paperwork given to our renters that additional linens are, where else, the linen closet. Everyone else seems to find them.

I could go on and on, but I think the most interesting thing is that "Jimmy Guy" complained to the Better Business Bureau and basically after the investigation, they found in our favor. But Guy/Jimmy swore he would do everything in his power to ruin our business because we refused to give him a refund after he stayed in the property and went back home. Ummm...

Let me add that in 4 years of being in operation, we have had 6 complaints and we have had thousands of people come to our location, hundreds of referrals and at least 50 or more return customers. Choose who you want to believe but remember, "Guy/Jimmy" is well..

Go visit our website for yourself...www.gigisparadise.com
Nov 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM

I saw this place also on the net. If anyone has been there and would like to show pictures, I would really like to see pictures of the bathrooms. When I asked the proprietors about pictures of the bathrooms, they said they could not take pictures of the bathrooms.

Doesn't this sound odd? Every other place that is presentable has pictures of the bathrooms?

Cindy
Nov 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
lyb

Cindy,

I am gigi's sister. Which unit are you interested in? I'm surprised my sister said we couldn't take pictures of bathrooms. We do have some pictures, but because the bathrooms are not huge, of course, it is sometimes more difficult. But I can assure you that all of our pictures are clean and updated. If you let me know which unit in specific you are interested in, I can see if we have pictures. We don't put pictures of the bathroom generally because most people are happy to see all of the rest of the units, which we have many pictures of.

Just let me know and I'll be happy to see what we have.
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Thanks. Kapa Ki---it is one of the cottages. I need a large bathroom with a tub and a shower. It is very important for my physical situation. Thanks, Cindy
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Are there any reviews of this place on TripAdvisor? So far, we seem to be hearing what some would consider very biased opinions about the place.
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:14 AM
lyb

Cindy,

I'll check w/my sister if there is a tub in that unit, most of your unit only have showers.

I'll let you know later today. thanks
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Thanks, and I agree that we are not getting the whole picture. Both sides seem to be very biased. I just want an honest, clear answer.

I also want to know how many square feet are in the bathrooms.

Cindy
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Also, is the local sewer lift station in the front yard??!!!

cindy
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:14 AM

maybe you should exchange email addresses. spare the tmi
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I have exchanged emails with them and they are responding much better here. Also, I think they should have a chance to clear up the issue about the sewer here, where it was raised, so that others do not doubt them or their establishment in any way. So far, and I have searched trip advisor as well, I see nothing at all dishonest or misleading about GiGi's at all. This exchange would clear up the allegations made by "guy/jimmy".

Cindy
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM
lyb

Cindy,

I'm not sure what you mean that you're not getting an honest answer, I did tell you that most of our units do not have a tub, only showers...as far as the square footage, honestly, no one has asked her that question before, so I frankly don't know. They are not big bathrooms, especially the cottages. There is an area with the sink and a closet and then a separate area for the shower and toilet. Some of the condos have larger bathrooms, but by no mean are they large, and we've never claimed that they are.

As far as where the sewer lift is, it is somewhere on the property, but frankly, I don't know exactly where, because I don't live on the premises, my sister does and it has only been an issue with so few people.

The age of the building, yes, it is an older building, as many buildings are all over Hawaii, and everywhere in the world, but as you will notice, Guy/Jimmy wrote his post more than 5 years ago. A lot of renovation has been done to the outside of the building during the past 5 years, all the balconies on the ocean side have been redone, the building has been completed repainted. Each of the units and condos are constantly re-done and fixed as needed.

Do we please everyone? Of course not, do we please the majority of the people? Yes, we have several units and most are always occupied, with many return guests and recommendations.

I think the confusion sometimes happens because people have never stayed in vacation rentals/homes and expect it to be like a hotel. Vacation rentals do not provide daily cleaning, or stock up the bathroom. We provide people with the necessities to start up with and then like any private rentals, people are expected to provide for themselves.

The units are located right on the beach, actually, so I am now accused of lying later, the units are on grass, then there is about 20 feet of grass, some shrubbery and then the beach.

If someone wants/expects 5 star accomodations, we tell them, this is not the place for you. These are clean, comfortable studio and one bedroom units on the Windward side of Oahu, directly on a beach.

We've been in business for more than 8 years and out of thousands of guests, we have had maybe 25 of so complaints...let me just say that the numbers of complaints we've had are so few that we can recall almost all of them. We had one complaint made to the Better Business Bureau and it was ruled in our favor, and let me add that we don't belong to the Bureau, so it wasn't ruled in our favor in order to please their member.

We do our best to make people happy, but after a while, you can only do so much and some people will never be happy. I've stayed at hotels that I've really enjoyed, yet someone else didn't.

On another post sometimnes back, some other vacation rental owners and I shared some of the stories of the guests we've had, trust me, it was a hoot.

We're not complaining, it's great for my sister to live on the beach and be able to have her own business..of course, the downfall is that wrong accusation are sometimes thrown our way, and all we can do is continue to do business the most honest and best way we can and feel very grateful that the majority of people who come stay with us are thrilled, want to return and/or recommend us to others.

Nov 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
lyb

oddly, some of the edits I did on my post, before posting didn't take...here's what I added....

Re: Sewers... I've been there MANY times, and yes, the sewer entrance, I guess you'd call it, is somewhere on the grassy area, I remember seeing it once. There had been some problems and there were workers fixing it.

reathrooms ... There are plenty of towels, including beach towels, the kitchen is stocked with 'matching' dishes, pots & pans, toasters, coffee maker, etc...

Re: Decor of place... unlike many other vacation rentals, all of our decor matches, we don't just throw any mix and match furniture in the units. In fact, before my sister will agree to manage an owner's condo, she always tells them the improvement they need to make before she will start offering their unit for rental.

LAST, BUT VERY IMPORTANT....I don't want this post and the other to sound like a commercial...I've been posting on this board for several years and only mentioned my sister's unit very rarely..in fact, I never frequent the U.S. board because I don't want to be tempted to promote her vacation rentals when people are asking where to say... I think the last time I posted before this post was 3 - 4 years ago...but when someone asked questions about her property, I felt it was only fair to respond.

More importantly, I hope that wherever any of you stay while vacationing in Hawaii, you have a great time...it's a great state!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO