Gig Harbor, WA

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gig Harbor, WA

Thinking of spending a few days around Gig Harbor. Any comments on No Cabbages B&B or Bear's Lair B&B?

Does anyone know if they'll have a July 4th celebration or parade?
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:36 PM

I see you aren't getting responses. Gig Harbor is a nice little town--a suburb of Tacoma. It's not a tourist destination, as far as I know. Will you be there to attend a wedding or some such?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, happy trails for topping.

No, we don't have a special reason to go to Gig Harbor, but just remembered reading that it was a cute town.

We'll be arriving late afternoon on the 3rd from the east coast, and just want a place to unwind on the 4th before heading to Olympic Park on July 5. Thought the "major" beaches, etc would be quite full that day.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM

I think you can do a lot better than Gig Harbor.

Port Townsend is a cute town about 1 1/2 hours further on.

I checked and found good rates at the ver nice Best Western Olympic Lodge just east of Port Angeles.

Also, Seattle has two fabulous firework displays (one on the waterfront and one on Lake Union). If you book now, you can probably get a hotel in Seattle within walking distace of great fireworks.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
mms

The Best Western that Happytrailstoyou mentioned is a good place. We stayed there once so that we could get an early start to a backpacking trip over at Capa Alava. The hotel is quite nice for a BW and they had a lot of healthy items for the breakfast which we appreciated.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Well you could spend the day in Gig Harbor and the evening in Tacoma. Matter of fact, while it's not a B&B, the Silver Cloud Inn (small PNW chain) in Tacoma is built over the water of the bay, and the air show and fireworks, along with lots of other activities, will be going over the water right in front of the hotel (and other waterfront restaurants.) Might still be some rooms available.

Gig Harbor has grown a lot and is now mainly a bedroom suburb for Tacoma. Still pretty cute downtown and fab views of Mt. Rainier over the water, so well worth a visit. Don't know about those B&Bs nor about July 4 activities. Google the visitors' bureau?