Reload this Page >

Gift certificate ettiquette for Mama's Fish House

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Ag3046

A dear friend is celebrating her 50th birthday in Maui with her DH and another couple ( whom I don't know and don't live near me). The other husband is arranging the entire trip, staying in a condo in Kihei. I would love to give my friend and her husband a gift certificate for a dinner for the two of them to Mama's Fish House. You know how expensive that can be. However, do I have to also get a gift certificate for the other couple I have never met? I don't know their plans and I don't know if they are going to be independent enough to use it on their own. I can afford a generous gift certificate for my friends, but not the same for all four of them? Any thoughts?

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you do not need to get anything for the other couple.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Of course you dont give the other couple a gift! You dont know them and they are not celebrating a milestone.

You give the gift certificate to your dear friend. Let her and her DH decide if they go alone or maybe they will invite the other couple along.

You are over-thinking this. IMHO
hi wether to go htodn trcbol. You are
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Ag3046

Well- actually the wife in the other couple is also celebrating her 50th, but not on the same day. Does that change things?

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Um, no.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ag3046 - are you actually considering giving a gift to someone you don't know, and have never met?? I could sure use a gift cert too

Of course you don't need to send them anything - just give your friend a gift cert for $xx and let her decide how to use it.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM

If their gift did not absolutely have to be Mama's Fish House, you could get them a 'generic' gift in the form of a prepaid Visa, MasterCard or American Express with a suggestion in the note that they use it for Mama's. This way, in the event that they are not travelling or dining independently and/or the other couple does not have that place in their budget, they won't be in a bind to use it only there. Just a thought...
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I would give them an American Express gift card and a printout of Mama's Fish House or created gift certificate suggesting they spend it there.

Give them the flexibility - which is a bonus to the gift of your intent.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Ag3046

Oh, you guys are great! Thank you so much.