Getting to Westchester County Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving Manhattan for our flight home from Westchester and I'm unsure about a few things.
It seems the best way to get there is to take the Metro North train from Grand Central to White Plains and then a taxi.
White Plains doesn't seem to be the closest station to the airport, but will it be the easiest to get a taxi from this station? Are there readily available? (or will we be stranded on the side of the road, desperately looking for a cab!!?)
How long a cab ride is it?
OUr flight leaves at 5:30, so at what time should we plan on leaving Grand Central? Because the airport is smaller, I'm thinking we won't need to be there 2 or 3 hours ahead of time, as they recommend at the larger airports. Would 90 minutes ahead of time be ok? We want to enjoy as much time in New YOrk as possible, but of course, don't want to risk missing the plane.
Lots of questions here, and I'd appreciate any help.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Rob

Cabs are available from the White Plains Metro North Station. IT is less than 5 miles to the airport. The Airport is also served by the Bee Line Bus Company. The bus depot is near the train statipn
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rob,
I'll have to find out about the bus, but if I recall from my researching, the bus does not go right into the terminal, and we'd have to lug our suitcases up the access road. So a taxi might be the best bet, but I'll check.
Thanks again.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:50 AM
mam

You shouldn't have a hard time getting a cab from the White Plains metro north station. Take the exit in the center of the platform, there should be an escalator going down. Once you get to street level, you will find the cabs lined up outside the station doors.

I am going to assume that you are leaving on week day. There's a 1:50 pm express train from Grand Central to White PLains. Get's in a 2:27. The next train leaves at 2:02 and gets in at around 2:50. Personally, I would shoot for the express train as there are usually less passengers. Also, it allows more time for any delays. The next express train would be at 2:50 and gets in at 3:27.

When I flew out of the White Plains airport on a 2:30 p.m. flight last April, I zipped through security. However, White Plains is also used by a lot of business travellers and your flight time appears to be about the time that people going back to the West coast might want to travel.

If you and your group are travelling relatively light and are fast enough on your feet, I suppose that you can take the 2:50 express train and still be at the airport at around 4:00. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Mam, thanks very much for the help. The 1:50 pm train is exactly the one I was thinking of, so I appreciate your answer. We want to spend as much time as possible enjoying NYC, but don't want to risk missing our plane. This train seems to be a happy medium.
Do you have any idea what the cab will cost?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Unless the airport has changed since I last flew from it, there in only a small lunch counter cafe for food, so be prepared. These days one cannot count on our flight for dinner.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Oh, Elainee, am I every glad you told me this. I had not even thought of it...and I should have. I just took a domestic flight here in Canada and no meal was provided. They did have a very limited menu at outragious prices.
I'll have to make sure we take food with us on the train.
Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:24 PM

HI Kodi
I hate to disagree with people here but I would take the train to Rye or Harrison as they are much closer train stattions and also much easier to navigate. I live in the area and fly out of westchester monthly. White Plains may be closer but it is a huge transportaion center. Whereas Rye or Harrison are actually small local stations with cabs at the trackside waitng to go.
As far as restaurants there are two . One lunch countery place and one more formal with a bar. There are also a two news tyoe stands where you can get a sandwich or snack, newspapersa nd the like.
Your time frame is fine 60-90 minutes before the flight is fine a HPN, it is truly a tiny airport. If yu have any other questions you can email me at [email protected] I'd be glad to help
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Mrsbu!, thank you so much for the additional information. It's nice to know we won't starve! Also it will be really refreshing to leave from a smaller airport. I find big airports so stressful and tiring.